+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Fillet Knife?

Default Best Fillet Knife?

Hi All,

Reading Rick's post on filleting speed, I noticed that some of you mention that the old Rapala fillet knives were extremely good, and held a great edge.

I have a couple of the current ones, and while they will take an edge, but I don't think mine will hold one very well.

The question is which fillet knives will take and hold a great edge? How do you recognise the old Rapala knives, if you think they are really good?

Is there a really good fillet knife out there that is fairly reasonably priced?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

good question and one i had myself. with the cost of groceries going up, i am going to start keeping a few of the fish i catch to make a meal. i've been looking around at fillet knives. at one end is the fallkniven fisherman's knife. at $105, pretty steep, but the old saying "quality only makes you cry once" is probably true here. heard really good things about their knives. also been looking at an opinel filet knive. at $23 bucks is much more reasonable and have also heard good things about the opinel knives.

I have probably 6 Fillet Knives that folks have given me. All Still new encluding an electric one. I have used a Rapala for years it has always been great for me. I sharpen it about once a year. I used to fillet a lot of salt water fish with it. It is one of the exceptions to the rule. It is cheap and a great product. It does not look fancy with its plain wood handle. but I don't use a knife for its looks. My recommendation for a good fillet knife would always be the Rapala. Just my 2 cents added in. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf View Post
    Hi All,

Reading Rick's post on filleting speed, I noticed that some of you mention that the old Rapala fillet knives were extremely good, and held a great edge.

I have a couple of the current ones, and while they will take an edge, but I don't think mine will hold one very well.

The question is which fillet knives will take and hold a great edge? How do you recognise the old Rapala knives, if you think they are really good?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf
    I know there are as many opinions about knives as there is about fly rods and lines. So I'' give you mine, and they are all resonable priced. I have a Rapala that I bought in 1959 or 60, it has a 6" blade and is still one of my best. Since then I bought 3 more, 2 have a 4" blade the other 9 1/2". These I have gotten in the past 25 to 30 years or so. They do not do as well as my first one but are OK. The first one is my go to knife for most fish unless it gets a little short for the fish body. It does a good job on any fish as far as that goes but my take longer on wider bodied fish
    I also have a 7 1/2" Chicago Cultlery fillet knife that I feel does a pretty good job. I have another 9 1/2" Russel Green River (Both from Menphis Net and Twine who also sells Dexter brand but I never owned one or know anything about personally). These two knives are my favorites for bigger Walleye from Lake Erie,the Stripers and Wipers here in Indiana. I used to fish for Salmon and Steelhead on Lake Michigan also. I'm sure these knives can be bought in shorter lengths to suit your needs, and I'd recommend them to anybody wanting a resonable priced fillet knife. The Green River is not stainless also the most fexible and easy to keep sharp and takes an edge as sharp as sin. The others are stainless and require a little more work to keep an edge. You may be able to find a none stainless Chicago knife but I'm not sure.
    My Father who has been gone for many years was strickly a Case man, it's as American icon, and I have nothing bad to say about them. I also have a buddy that has as Forschner fellet knife that isn't bad but stiifer than any of the other I mentioned
    All these will fit the critera of, resonable priced, and do a credible job. I'm sure there are many others out there to be bought. I wish to say again that there are many opinions on this, I in no way have used all the others out there so I can't compare these to what some one else has that may or may not be better. I'm just talking about what I have used personally.
    I'd like to say that the performance as far as edge holding depends a lot on what you may be filleting on. News paper or card board and even painted wood takes the edge off faster. I have a large 2'x4'x3/8"thick sheet of plastic (may be teflon) like on a meat cutters table that I use on top of our picnic table. It has really helped filleting for me, I do use paper but on one sheet when I take the fillets off the skin after I have all the fish filleted to this stage. It helps to keep the fillets from sliding and I usually do not cut the paper much doing this. I also have cut up many deer on it and it will out last me and the grandkids. It's easy to clean with a little bleach in water and I keep it behind a cabinet against the wall so takes up little room.
    I know there are going to be some who think I'm right up there with a Baby Killer for owning all these knives and filleting fish. I in no way have ever been a fish hog. I (we) have released many fish back into the waters I've fished. I and my whole family which amounts to several have have hunted and fished for everything we could catch from punkinseed sunfish to the 8 1/2 Sturgeon my oldest son caught when we hired a guide on the Columbia River in Oregon. We have filleted many a Bluegill, Crappie, plus all the other species we fished for over many years. We have released many of every kind. All things change, and with fishing pressure being what it is in these days, I keep less than years ago.I do not get to fish much now as I used to due to health issues but still like a mess of fish now and then and keep a few.
    Geez, I've wrote a book here. SORRY for the long reply, but hope in some way it helps you.

The very best to you. and all, Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf
    The question is which fillet knives will take and hold a great edge?
    I have used pocket knives before to fillet. A knife specifically made for filleting is nice to have though and a thin six inch blade as opposed to a thick two and half to three inch blade speeds things up. The fillet knife I have is called a Falcon. It is all black plastic with a thin stainless steel blade with the signature "J. Martliin Tinland" (as close as I can tell) on the six inch blade. It has a plastic sheath with a ceramic "V" sharpening insert and belt loop. I got the fillet knife when I got a pair of Wolverine boots on sale a long time ago. There was a ticket that came with the boots I mailed in and they sent me the fillet knife. I have been using the fillet knife ever since.

I like stainless steel blades. They don't rust or corrode and perform in saltwater as well as freshwater. The ones I have hold their edge for a good long while once they have a good edge on them. The downside is that I've found it harder to put an edge on stainless steel blades if the blade edge needs rough sharpening (the edge is notched), easier if the blade edge is only dull and just needs fine sharpening. Carbon steel blades I've found are the easiest to put an edge on the blade but for me do not hold an edge as long and the blade is subject to rust and corrosion if the blade is not maintained by cleaning and oiling.

Just did a Google on it and suppose to be made by Rapala. This one is a newer model than mine but is similar:
    http://shorterlink.com/?G2IZKO
    Last edited by dixieangler; 08-01-2008 at 02:33 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf
    I will add this to my way too long answer. Memphis Net and Twine sells a lot of different stuff for commercial fisherman even hooks and foul weather gear. Anyone can buy there and the knives they carry of all types are for commercial fish processing type places as well as anyone who may need them. So they must be pretty good for the fishing industry to be be buying them.
    I do agree about carbon steel being easier to sharpen, which I like because it only takes a few licks on a stone to get it back. It does corrode like was stated, but I take pretty good care of all my knives and never had to deal with salt water either. Not all stainless is created equal that is for sure, nor is all carbon steel created equal. It is like fly rods and lines, it gets more exspensive as you get to the better grades of each.
    I have several custom knives and only a few are from stainlees of any type, more are from various types of carbon steels (tool steel)that are amazing. Some will tarnish a little bit, but I've never had a crorrosion problem, but like I said I've never been near salt water with them. The price does increase greatly with these type of knives though. So I'd for sure recommend one of the others I listed or some of the others post here. Unless you want to spend the extra money on a high end knife. I'm not talking about the makers you may see in Bass Pro or Cabelas who are selling suposedly custom knives.
    I was given a used 10" Dexter cheif's knife today, ( cooking being another hobby, along with eating) It's the first Dexter knife I ever had and I couldn't believe it was the day after I made my post. It appears to be a good one as well as those I mentioned earlier. Amazed me for sure.. !!!
    You maybe able to go to Memphis Net and Twine by doing a search if you'd like. I sometimes still to get their catalog and enjoy looking through it. If your interested and can't find the site and would like one of their catalogs PM with a address and I'll see if I've got one around here yet and mail it to you.
    I appologize again for the long post, everyone tells me I write and e-mail like I'm talking to an old friend, I hope you will take it that way.
    Good luck on your seach and may you find the best one out there.
    The best to you, and all.
    Jesse

First. Let it be known that I am one of the worst filleters around! My fishing buddies, if they are smart, do not let me do more than scale the fish if they are not being skinned.
    However they do allow me to sharpen the fillet knives they plan to use. I have a Lansky sharping kit with diamond stones and use the 20 degree angle for fillet knives. A medium grit stone will put an almost microscopic saw tooth edge on the knife and if you take a look at the knife action used to fillet a fish you are sawing through the meat (as close to the bone as possible).
    If there are a lot of fish to be done more than one knife is used and as they get dull I resharpen them as needed.
    Yes I do have a 20+ year old Rapala and a 20+ year old Schrade folding "Fisherman's" filet knife.

My Gran dad was a butcher and here is what he told me and I've fallowed his advise it's true! Buy a good high quality carbon steel knife, If your worried about rust wipe with cooking oil after cleaning, store your fillet knife in the case or wrap in flannel. Carbon steel will hold an edge better than any high tech knife. Keep a steel handy and use it while cutting, the edge will hold up for a long time. sharpen when needed with a 15-20* bevel. I have a Rada knife it's 15 yrs old and been sharpened 5-6 times works great it replaced pops knife(blade is now only 3" long) all carbon steel. only advise take it or leave it
    Dave
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Never Thought about anything but Rapala

I've used the same two Rapala fillet knives for the last thirty-eight years and never found a need to change them. They are the Thompson Model A version of fillet knives. Back in my bait-fishing days, when the ex Mrs. Eight Thumbs and I use to camp in the Florida Key for a month or more and live on our catch, they were in constant use. I hardly use them at all now with catch and release but they are still sitting in my saltwater tackle box in case I relapse to bait fishing again. With the price of groceries, that may be soon. 8T

I'm going to throw another name in the ring here.

I've always been a big fan of Buck knives and the Buck fillet knife I have is great. Comfortable handle and the blade holds an edge for a very long time.

I've used it for everything from filleting fish to skinning squirrels.

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread