+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coloring a Tippet Ring to a Dark color?

Default Coloring a Tippet Ring to a Dark color?

Is there a way to permanently dye or darken a tippet ring to a murky deep water color? So that in clear water you don't get the FLASH it can give off....which fish don't seem to like.?

Gemrod

Quote Originally Posted by Gemrod View Post
    Is there a way to permanently dye or darken a tippet ring to a murky deep water color? So that in clear water you don't get the FLASH it can give off....which fish don't seem to like.?

Gemrod
    You talking a little tiny 2mm or 3mm tippet ring used on some furled leaders?
    I'd be more worried about the presentation of a fly and or motion of a rod, guides, reels etc. before I'd worry about a little tippet ring. The water has glints of light flickering all the time in moving waters.
    Or if it really bothers you, just blacken it with a sharpie once in a while.
    Last edited by RS1; 07-30-2008 at 10:21 PM.

Dull your hooks while you're at it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gemrod View Post

Gemrod

Why not try paint. Epoxy type. Hardware store
    has small cans of it.

Nothing wrong with what your up too!

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Try ammonia or bleach, but you would have to do this before the ring is on the leader. Just soak the rings until they turn. In a pinch, urine should work also.

I am sure you are not in a pinch..LOL

Try a torch low heat should blue it nicely...
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

7. Default

I mostly use a black marker, but if you use the stainless steel rings, then you can also heat them slowly on a stove plate until they turn dark blue. This is an oxide that forms on the metal surface, and is semi-permanent. It does not appreciably weaken the rings. However, heating them close to red heat will!

The nickel silver rings are best just coloured with a marker.

You are also quite right, the "flash" given off by these rings can scare fish, although sometimes smaller fish will actually try to grab them.

This may also be of interest to you in regard to leader rings;

http://www.mike1.bplaced.net/Wikka/TeamSedge

TL
    MC

http://www.mike1.bplaced.net/Wikka/HomePage

None of the thousands of trout that I've caught using silver tippet rings and / or stainless steel tippet rings on furled leaders were scared off. Now I'm wondering how many thousands were, that I might otherwise have caught !!!???

Seriously, I find it difficult to believe that this little piece of metal, mostly obscured by the tippet end of a furled leader material and covered in part by the tippet attached to it, could scare off any fish, even in the clearest water.

I've fished very light colored furled leaders with not much more than a foot of tippet to the fly, and caught fish, in spring creeks and "gin clear" tailwaters. With more than a few feet of tippet, the end of the furled leader is probably so far away from where the trout is looking at the food you are offering up, the fish won't even see the leader, let alone the tippet ring.
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-Connor View Post
    I mostly use a black marker, but if you use the stainless steel rings, then you can also heat them slowly on a stove plate until they turn dark blue. This is an oxide that forms on the metal surface, and is semi-permanent. It does not appreciably weaken the rings. However, heating them close to red heat will!

The nickel silver rings are best just coloured with a marker.

You are also quite right, the "flash" given off by these rings can scare fish, although sometimes smaller fish will actually try to grab them.

This may also be of interest to you in regard to leader rings;

http://www.mike1.bplaced.net/Wikka/TeamSedge

TL
    MC

http://www.mike1.bplaced.net/Wikka/HomePage
    I read about the "flash" from Team Sedge. I really have a hard time believing something that small is going to scare any kind or any size fish. I'm with John Scott and Bamboozle on this one. Imagine the thousands that got away because of the flash

Mine are the nickel silver rings. Thanks to those who really tried to provide an answer to the original question.

Ouch! to the zingers. Why the zingers? I don't understand.

Now I see what you get when you ask a question on FAOL.

Gemrod
    BTW I think I will just not use them.
    Last edited by Gemrod; 07-31-2008 at 02:25 AM.

+ Reply to Thread