+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New outfit complete

Default New outfit complete

Any of you who may have read my "West Yellowstone" thread might remember I picked up a new fly rod while on the trip. Just a little something to help me remember the trip. A new Winston fly rod followed me home.

I just had to make sure the outfit was complete and putting ond of my beat up grungy reels on a brand new Winston would have been, well, it would have just been wrong.

Alas, a new Ross Rhythm 1.5 in copper color arrived at my house yesterday.

Now the outfit is complete.

This is my 2nd Ross Rhythm reel and I really like both of them.

Jeff

nice.
    I like a san miguel on my winston.
    and I just picked up a copper cla for my bamboo 4wt (if it ever gets finished).

good pickups.

Jeff,

Sounds great man! Hope to see it sometime. Between work, a beach vacation with the family, and all the rain and high water this year I've yet to make it over to our favorite spot. If you've been over have you done any good? Let me know, I'm in day three of a ten day stretch at work with no hope of fishing until next Friday at the earliest, but I'd love to see the new rig! Take care.
    Joe Bertolini

Quote Originally Posted by alra195 View Post
    Jeff,

Sounds great man! Hope to see it sometime. Between work, a beach vacation with the family, and all the rain and high water this year I've yet to make it over to our favorite spot. If you've been over have you done any good? Let me know, I'm in day three of a ten day stretch at work with no hope of fishing until next Friday at the earliest, but I'd love to see the new rig! Take care.
    Joe,
    I went up there the week I got back from Yellowstone. I was still on vacation and about 3:00 in the afternoon just decided to head up.

I managed to bring 3 browns to hand and one was pretty decent, the others were about average size.

Like you, the high water has kept me away and now the heat is pretty bad.

Let me know next time you're heading up that way and I'll do the same. Hopefully we'll hit a day when both of us can get off and share a section of stream.

Happy to let you fish with the new rig.

Jeff

Jeff,

I just got off the phone with one of the maintenance guys at the dam and the current tailwater temp is just above 68 degrees. That means the further down we go (like in the park) the temps will be higher, probably too high to not unneccessarily stress the fish. My guess is the peak temps will be in the mid 70's. So until the water cools, I'm not going to go over.

It would appear all the rains we got this year are limiting the amount of cold water available for release. The folks at the dam are taking weekly reading of the lake temp profile and finding little, if any, suitable cold water, even at the lower levels in the lake. This does not sound good. I'll keep you in the loop as I see how thing go.

Joe
    Joe Bertolini

Quote Originally Posted by alra195 View Post
    Jeff,

I just got off the phone with one of the maintenance guys at the dam and the current tailwater temp is just above 68 degrees. That means the further down we go (like in the park) the temps will be higher, probably too high to not unneccessarily stress the fish. My guess is the peak temps will be in the mid 70's. So until the water cools, I'm not going to go over.

It would appear all the rains we got this year are limiting the amount of cold water available for release. The folks at the dam are taking weekly reading of the lake temp profile and finding little, if any, suitable cold water, even at the lower levels in the lake. This does not sound good. I'll keep you in the loop as I see how thing go.

Joe
    Wow, that's too bad. The bass and bluegill fishing around here has pretty much slowed with the heat as well. I pulled a few up with spinning gear last week but they're DEEP. Was catchingh them down about 30' or so with plastic worms. I couldn't buy a strike on anything top water.

I noticed the water temps starting to climb. I hope the lake starts to settle down in the next few days so that they can bring the temps down. It would really be sad to loose such a good fishery Yes, they stock it yearly but a lot of the bigger fish I catch there have to be a few years in the river.

Thanks for the update.

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread