+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Designs on Cork, How to ?

Blog Entries

Question Designs on Cork, How to ?

I'm looking for any info on either transferring designs or direct application of designs onto cork grips. I've seen some designs made by using a wood burner, but have wondered how the design was originally tranferred to the grip before burning? I have only played around a little with a wood burner and trying to do it free hand leaves no margin for mistake. I have also tried transferring a design following directions using a transfer tip with no sucess.

If anyone has any secrets on using a wood burner , or for that matter any other method on how to apply designs to a cork grip I hope you'll share your secrets. Many Thanks.......Ed

Although I'm not allowed to use things that result in burning (or sharp things, either!), an idea for transferring the pattern to the cork MAY/COULD be found in the fabric store. They have tracing paper, that when placed between the cork and the pattern, can be traced with a ball point pen, or other fairly sharp object, on to the cork. Then the burning tool could be used to carefully follow the pattern you've traced. Hold the tracing paper/pattern in place with painters tape. I'd suggest practicing on a piece of flat cork, before trying on a "real" grip.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

In the old days, before the computer revolution, I did a fair bit of manual drafting. We used to make our own version of carbon paper to make transfers.

We would get the pencil lead 'dust' from a lead pointer and mix it with naptha (lighter's fliud) This slurry was rubbed onto the back of a piece of paper with a paper towel. (very messy, use gloves!)

When the stuff dried out you had a sheet of 'carbon' paper that made a pencil mark when ever you traced over it with a ball point pen. The advantage of this over carbon paper is the marks it made could be removed with an eraser.

For a small project you could xerox the design onto a sheet of 8 1/2" X 11" paper and scribble pencil all over the back side. Use a soft lead pencil (like 2B) for best results. This could be taped over the handle and the pattern traced with a ball point pen.

Smile

Heres how I do it:

On a word processor type and print your text and/or image out on a standard sheet of paper.

Next use green painters tape and lay it over the image and / or text directly on the printed sheet.

Place the taped sheet back into the printer, be sure to orient the sheet in the proper direction.

Print again. It will print on the painters tape. Let the ink dry..

Carefully remove the painters tape from the paper sheet and stick it to the item.

Next use a wood burner tool to burn through onto the item, cork wood ect...

Works like a charm..

I also use this method to make stencils, instead of burning through the painters tape use an
    xecto knife and carefully cut it out...

Once you get the hang of the idea you can make slight adjustments to be specific for a project....

It really works great! Thought it up myself.. however I bet someone out there has too!!

Steve

PS: Example of the wood burning and carving once complete --> http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/blog.php?b=55

Post it labeling and cover up tape works good also, any type of removable tape should work..
    You can also carve directly into wood through the tape...

Like anything else practice really improves the outcome...
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 07-28-2008 at 12:17 AM.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

5. Default

You could also first inlet the cork with your design/materials than turn it to the shape desired.

Blog Entries

Red face

Just a follow up here.......Tried the carbon paper ( that didnt work/ cork is soft and didnt want to take the transfer)

Tried the other method with copy paper ( that didnt work either) not sure why.

Fortunatley I am pretty artistic and have done a lot of free hand stuff.

I managed to get the design on the grip using a very thin black pen, then burned it in with the wood burner. After which I lightly sanded the grip again. It came out pretty good except I'm still not all that happy with the burning tip. I used the thinest tip I had , but I still think I need a finer line. I may have to make a tip on my own. I'm not ready to offer any burnt grips yet, without a lot more practice and better renditions.

You might try a battery operated cauterizer it has a super small tip. Mine is called Power Zap. I got it from Bass Pro a couple of years back. Just a suggestion. It heats up to 1200 degrees. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

IMO, there is only one way to do it with success. Put your graphic onto a flashdrive or CD. Take it to the nearest trophy shop with a laser engraving machine. Give them the grip and $15-20 and watch the magic. BEAUTIFUL work everytime. I have done various fish images over the years, names, quotes, etc. Done in bulk, it costs even less per grip - around $5-6.

Blog Entries

Smile 1st attempt

Figured I'd show you my first attempt at burning an image on a cork grip. Like I said above , I still need a lot of practice and a finer tip, but it was fun doing. This was strictly all free hand at doing a stripper on my own personal 9ft 9wt that I use to fish for that species.

Last edited by ET custom flyrods; 08-07-2008 at 01:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread