+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy Crap!!!

Default Holy Crap!!!

So I have been trying to choose a new 5wt for my rod inventory and today I took a trip to the Orvis store in Manchester.

I stopped at the outlet first just to see if they had any good bargains, and found out the first shipment of Helio's refurbished rods will be there in less than a month.

Next I took a short walk to the main store. I looked over the new Helios rods. I picked up the 8'6" tip flex and asked for a 5wt and 6wt line. A trip out to the casting pond and that is where I fell in love.

My first thought was how light in hand the rod felt. My next thought was holy crap! On my first stroke I had 50 ft of line laying straight in front of me. After a few minutes of casting I managed to get the whole beat up WF5 wonderline laying in front of me, straight across the pond! This is the first time I have ever cast a whole line except when I tested my fathers new St. Croix 8wt last year with a DT7 on it. And that was one cast I was never able to reproduce. The rod seemed to cast the line effortlessly the only time I was really conscience of the line was when it was tugging after a casting stroke.

Next I tried the WF6 and instantly realized the rod was over loaded when I was casting for distance. I also found it wasn't necessary to over line this rod to cast short. For me this seemed like a perfect rod for open water, stillwaters or a large river. Since the casting pond is wide open, and the water is not moving to help load the rod with certain casts and lobs I can not say if I would like to fish this rod close or with branches above, infront and behind me. I just wish I could take this rod fishing for one day before sliding $755 across the counter.

For anyone that likes a quick responsive rod and has a chance, give it a try. I think I've got a few more trips to try this one, the mid flex and the 9 footers out without the wife so I can really give them some time. But I am pretty sure Orvis has acquired my future paychecks with this one. Now to find a reel to match it.
    Last edited by Flyrodde; 07-27-2008 at 02:37 AM.

Default Another Helios Lover

My first reaction after my first few casts with my Helios rod was much the same as yours. Holy crap did I just do that? Now that I've had my Helios about 5 months and have fished with it dozens if not hundreds of times I still love it. It is by no means the perfect rod for every situation but it still is an excellent rod that will handle the vast majority of my fishing needs. Unlike you, I have one of the heavier rods, a 908 - 4 tip flex that I use for tossing bass flies and, since it's so light, I also use it for chores I ordinarily would use a 4 or 5 wt for. I use Rio's coldwater clouser in 7 wt on it which performs quite well on both short and long range casts. I haven't managed to cast all the fly line out yet but that's probably mostly just me, not the rod.
    I have just one caution when I use the rod. If I'm using a light tippet and happen to catch the fly on some weeds or a tree on the back cast I can complete the forward cast and just barely notice the bobble except the fly will be missing.
    Have fun with your $755 baby

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Question Mystery Heading!

Hi Cycler,

I'm not in the market for a new fly rod so the body of your post wasn't of much interest though I do like Orvis Rods a great deal. But that Heading just sucked me in---I had to look. I thought that JC might have unexpectedly appointed you the Grand Poobah of FAOL or one of the presidential candidates had selected you as a running mate. It was a real attention getter. 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 07-27-2008 at 05:07 PM.

What is this about refurbished helios'? Does that translate to cheaper?

Orvis refurbs are usually 10%-25% cheaper than the new rods. They however do not come with a 25 year gaurantee. At least this is what I have been told. I don't think this means break it and your out, just that you may have to pay a nominal fee to get the rod fixed or replaced. Something I would make sure of before I actually bought a refurb.

I have been testing the upcoming 10' 5wt Helios. Sweeet!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Smith View Post
    I have been testing the upcoming 10' 5wt Helios. Sweeet!
    I absolutely love longer rods. Especially this time of year. I fish many of the smaller streams and people tend to think of smaller streams and short rods but if the grass on the edge of the stream is 5 to 6' tall and you are in 3' of water a tall rod can do a much nicer job of keeping your fly out of the weeds. Mending on larger rivers is just supurb. A 10', 5 wt, sounds like a dream.

Rick

Pleading with the guys for a 12' 5wt. would be a highsticking, mending machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Smith View Post
    Pleading with the guys for a 12' 5wt. would be a highsticking, mending machine.
    My only issue with extremely long rods is, how the heck do you net a fish with a 12' long rod? You either have to carry a net with a long handle, (not an issue for bank fisherman) or you have to beach them. Those spey rod fellows like to tail those samon, but a 17" brown, I want a net. So what's the secret there?

I have a 10', 7 wt that I like to throw for steelies.

Rick

I would say, just lift the rod straight up, but that is just me I guess.
    It is like the difference of netting a fish with a 7' rod or a 9'. In other words, I don't find the positioning any different with my 10'....arm straight up and other arm straight out with net.

+ Reply to Thread