+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For the smokers with butts.

Default For the smokers with butts.

I smoke cigarettes. It's not a desirable habit, and to all the younger ones that read this forum..it would be wise not to start, as history has proven it is not the best thing for you and rather hard to quit.(PSA done)
    That being said I will ocassionaly smoke on the water and was wondering if what those who smoke do with their butts? (insert joke here) I have been using an altoids container in a plastic bag in my vest but it's not too ideal.
    I understand this subject doesn't come up often, and for good reason, but I thought I'd ask.
    Janus

In the US military we were taught to strip out and discard the unused tobacco & ash and then take the paper & filter and put them in your pocket until you could find a suitable disposal site.

Tim

I was never in the Military, (Many thanks to those who are or were!) butt I, too, "Field dress" mine and stick em in my pocket til I can dispose of them properly. I thoroughly dislike seeing skinny white butts floating down the creek.

Kirk

Brian,
    A few years ago, James Smith of FAOL made this & sent it to me....it will work perfectly & is so simple to make. It is nothing but a film cannister, a length of stretch cord, & a clip to fasten to vest or lanyard. Simply drill a hole in the bottom, insert cord & knot it & cut an "X" in the cannister top. Put your smoke out & stuff the butt into the cannister. Empty into a trash can when leaving. Here are a couple of pics...

Any questions, shoot me a PM or call..I think you have my cell#.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Thanks for the replies
    Mike that looks perfect. I will make one tonight.
    Janus
    Last edited by Janus; 07-26-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Hey Mikey! Is there ANY gizmo or gadget that you DON"T have? LOL

That's the best disposal device I have seen to date. I field strip the butt then put the remnants in my vest pocket until I find a trash receptacle. I would use Mikey's gizmo if he would make me one and mail it to me. Until then, I will hold his fudge pans hostage.

BTW, I did see someone using the Au Sable as an ash tray. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Joey
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    Hey Mikey! Is there ANY gizmo or gadget that you DON"T have? LOL

That's the best disposal device I have seen to date. I field strip the butt then put the remnants in my vest pocket until I find a trash receptacle. I would use Mikey's gizmo if he would make me one and mail it to me. Until then, I will hold his fudge pans hostage.

BTW, I did see someone using the Au Sable as an ash tray. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Joey

yes what Joe said
    Remember we all live down stream

Janus,
    Good thread. Thanks for your considerate efforts. I'm not a smoker but make every effort to carry whatever trash I bring in, out. I even take trash I find out. Nothing worse than hiking in 3-4 miles to find a can, wrapper, chip bag or butt next to "gin-clear" water. Funny thing how 1 piece of trash stands out in these wooded/forrest setting as though it's calling to be removed.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

It is always great to see someone so careful about not litering. A few years ago I had a chain smoker in my boat that kept throwing his butts into the river. Every time he did I grabbed the net and rowed over to the floating butt, messing up the fishing, and had him net the darn thing. After repeated ignored warning when I saw another butt in the river (I had given him and empty soda can to use for the butts) as we approached a good bank I reached up and snipped his leader off halfway up.

I told him that his dad can can fish until I felt ready to stop the boat to re-rig him. When I had him re-rigged I told him as seriously as I could that I have the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks number in my phone. I then said that if I saw one more butt in the river that there would be an officer waiting to write him up for litering when we get to the ramp. I meant it, and he must have believed me since he did not throw any more butts in the river that day or the next three days.

flybop good story. I have always been aware of it and when I do see someone elses in the water I try and net it and get it out.
    I have heard of people using the butts , or at least the filter part as strike indicators..ha! thought that was interesting.

+ Reply to Thread