+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airborne Bass Chasing Dragonflies

Default Airborne Bass Chasing Dragonflies

Do you think I could use a small helium-filled balloon indicator to make a dragonfly pattern hover . . . ?

Talk about catching some air! There's about a dozen more photos @ http://www.fieldandstream.com/article_gallery/Airborne-Bass-Chasing-Dragonflies-Above-The-Surface/1

steve

I had one go airborne and snatch my fly out of the air as it was laying down. I about pooped my pants it was amazing!!!

Blog Entries

The Russian judge only gave him a 6 because his pectoral fins weren't flat agains his body.

All kidding aside - I see this (though perhaps without that much vigor) every year. Occasionally they get one. They usually miss, but sometimes they knock the dragon fly into the water. When they are doing this - immediately toss a popper in anywhere close to where they jumped - and hang on.

Normally I see fish 2 pounds and down doing this but they are still a ball.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

I've seen it happen, and sometimes with some good sized fish, but I've never seen them get that much air. HideHunter is exactly right about the popper. They'll turn right around and smash anything that hits the water in the general area.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Blog Entries

I have seen steelhead do this as well, and have caught them on poppers after figuring out what they were up to.

Blog Entries

Dragon flies are usually close to shore , you could try just suspending one from the rod tip and as they said already , hang on.

Or perhaps use a quick draw rig with a 22 pistol and shoot em as they jump. Train the Bird dog to retrieve them...It'll keep you and the pooch sharp for bird season.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Once my boy and I were watching a floating log half off on the shore when
    all of a sudden a chipmunk came on the log and started eating an acorn.

All of a sudden with great water exposing a bass leaps and gobbles
    down the chipmunk,, just like in the first photo!!

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

not that we hunt birds a lot w/ a handgun in season, but the heat index was 105 here today, so the dog votes for the target practice . . .

steve

Don't just toss a popper at them when they're doing this..toss whatever you have on your line.

I saw one jump a couple weeks ago while I was tossing a clouser. What the heck...cast it where the fish landed hoping maybe it'd still be hungry and I'd get a hit as it sank...danged fish smacked the clouser the instant it touched the water!

That's the first time I've had a top-water strike on a clouser!

Don't waste time swapping to a rod that has a dry fly or swapping flies...when you see 'em jumping, toss whatever you're already fishing right at them!

Talking

I have be intriuged (sp) by bass doing this forever. I have been fishing and catching nothing with them hurdling out of the water for dragon flies. Last year was determined to make a real Dragon Fly. Wow, what a disaster.

My question: does anyone have any luck w/ any of the commerically tied DF or Damsel Fly imitators? I have not. Dunno if it is cuz they lay on the water and not hover. Seems to me watching this forever that the hover is the thing. A Helium filled fly make be closer to the truth than anyone knows!

+ Reply to Thread