+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 6 wt recommendation ?

Default New 6 wt recommendation ?

I am looking for some ideas here on some rods to look at. I figure you all can suggest something I may e overlooking. My main smallmouth rod is an Orvis 9ft 6 wt, Mid flex. It has the saltwater reel seat. I want a faster rod. I made the mistake of casting a Sage Z-Axis 6 wt and I really really like it. The problem is the price. My most expensive rod to date is under $350. I just am having a hard time spending almost $700 on a rod. I would like someting that casts similar to the Z-Axis but at a lower price.

Right now I am considering a Orvis T3 Saltwater 6wt in a Tip Flex. I like Orivs rods but also own St Croix, Sage, Scott and TFO rods. So I am not into a single brand.

Building, I have thought about it, and have built one before, but am not sure I want to do that, but may consider it.

I would like to keep it under $400. I know the T3 is more than that but I am the T3 as top dollar and no more.

I use a Clouser Line as well as a SA Quad Tip line. I mostly wade fish and use a lot of weighted flies in sie 4-6. Medium lead eyes, some small lead eyes. I also throw deer hair bugs and other poppers, but understand that a 6 wt is not a big deer hair launcher. I have 7-9 weights also for that.

What else should I look at in a 4 piece rod??

One rod I am curious about is the TFO Axiom. . . .

-wayne
    Last edited by waynep; 07-24-2008 at 01:21 AM.

Default Under your price limit

Maybe this might interest you. It also comes with it's own line.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...:referralID=NA

I must say that I've owned several 6wt's and the only one I've owned that will always have a home here is the St Croix Legend Ultra 906-4.
    That is one schweeeet stick. And moderately priced around 300 bucks. USA made.
    The 906-4 is the cream of da crop in the LU lineup too.
    I've tried several lines on it and the SA GPX WF6F is a perfect marriage to the rod too.

Good luck!
    Mark 1:17

I have a 6 wt Echo II---it does a respectable job but its not a Z-axis---under 300 with 2 tips.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Echo II is my 6# sweet stick and 2 tips.

Also try here http://www.midwestcustomflyrods.com/ he builds sweet rods. Tell what you want the rod for and he will hook you up.

Ditto on Midwest. Steve is an outstanding guy and does great work. You can view some of his work on his site (posted above) or on rodbuildingforum.com (site name- steeldrifter).

Don't shy from making your own. I just finished a 6 wt. Dan Craft that's a beauty, and I'm no artist!

John

Default Kiwi Rods

Have you considered the XLS from Composite Developments here in NZ?
    I use them as my guiding rods and my american clients are always surprised by them. Many have purchased these rods before leaving NZ.

Killwell's Innovation is another NZ rod with a great 6wt action, and CTS make top quality fly rod blanks also here in NZ.

All retail around $499 - $700 nzd.

I feel the XLS is very comparable to the Z Axis, and many other rods of the top dollar group.

This rod is a little different than what you are looking for but in number 3 makes a whicked all around flyrod that can pop a deerhair bug out there like nothing I have ever tried but can also throw a very fine light line with dry's as well.

http://stripermoon.myshopify.com/pro...lmo-saxtilis-1

I took the number 3 out river fishing for smallmouth a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. I used 5 wt through 11 wt lines on it for deerhair bugs, nymphs, dry's as well as streamers.

They are great line control rods.

350 bucks

Get a Scott A2; under $300 and it is an amazing stick. I love the company and have always had great luck with their rods.

Hey Chris (Dore),

Good to see ya here mate. How are you boys doing down on the SI these days? All the best...

Marty

+ Reply to Thread