+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Decisions, decisions---I hate decisions-

Default Decisions, decisions---I hate decisions-

I am going on vacation the first week of August and I WILL FISH. The lake I will be at has bluegill, bass, crappie, perch,northern pike, and walleye. The only ones I have not caught on a fly are the perch and walleye. The decisions I have are.

1 What to fish for.

2 What flies to tie. This is somewhat dependent on #1 but there are "multi-species" flies.

What are your suggestions for flies.

2. Default

i would say fish for what you want to catch. if you want to catch perch and walleye on the fly then go for it. what i usually do if i am trying to catch a species of fish that i haven't been catching that day than i'll just fish for say bluegill or something like that, that i know i can catch. for flies, i would say definately some clousers. maybe like some baitfish colored patterns (gray, white, black, brown, red, etc.) along with your white/chartruese, yellow/chartruese, and other classic color patterns you'd want - in a 10 or 12 for crappie, bluegill, and perch and maybe like a 4, 6 or 8 for walleye, bass, and pike. i would also maybe get like some san juan worms maybe for perch and bluegill and crappie. maybe some woolly buggers and crawfish patterns if there's crawfish up there. if you want to go for pike you could get some white/red bunny leeches, and some bluegill/sunfish/baitfish patterns. for bass pretty much any baitfish pattern would work or clouser or crawdad pattern. i've caught them on san juan worms. but for the "multi-species" flies, i would say clousers, some type of worm pattern, and a baitfish pattern - like a bucktail or something. i hope i helped you and have fun up there!

Well, #1, Fish for 'em all of course.
    and #2, Wooly Buggers and poppers or gurglers. I'd bring a bunch of buggers from size #14-#4. Light colored to dark colored, bead heads, beadchain eyes and plain.
    If I can, I'll add one more piece of advice. Don't do what I did when I went on vacation earlier this month. We went to Delaware and I was gonna be fishing the pond at our campground (Killens State Park) and some nearshore ocean fishing. Not knowing exactly what I was gonna need I brought just about everything. When all was said and done, I used two rods, my 6wt. fiberglass flyrod and my boat rod for the ocean fishing. I used about 6 flies (buggers and poppers) So I needlessly stressed out about what to bring and what to fish. Next time-one rod and one box of flies and I'll make them work.
    Tom

Hi,

I don't really have any nearby warm water fisheries so I can't say I've experimented with these, however, in one of the fly tying books I have (by Bill Tagg) he mentions two flies that he says that pike and perch both go for. They are a Peter Ross tied with Junglecock cheeks, and an Alexandria, also tied with Junglecock cheeks. In his book he specifically points out that if you add the JC then the perch and pike will target the flies. I have caught trout on both patterns.

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread