+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sage FLi?

Default Sage FLi?

I have been thinking of buying Sage FLi 3wt. I tested it at my local shop and like the feel. Any one out there useing this rod? Or any FLi just wanted to know what people think of these rods?

Thumbs up

I have the Fli in the 480-2 and 890-4 models. Great rods with plenty of power for longer cast (beyond 60') yet enough flex in the tip for short soft presentations. I was actual surprised to find these rods did well at close range where I general go to a medium-fast action for shorter softer presenatation. For around $300 the quality, fit and finish are first rate.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Hi K -

I've got an Fli 9' for 7 wt. It suits me just fine for fishing bigger water, bigger wind, and bigger flies. Mine is true to its rating - it feels great with a Rio Selective Trout WF7F, and the times I've put on one of Rio's Versileaders ( 12' fast sinking ) with a decent sized streamer, it has handled it very well.

It is on the fast side, and it does take some line out, about 20', to load it. After that, it really goes to work. I did try it with Rio's Rio Grand, which was a 6wt++ line, and it loaded the rod very close in, but then really bogged it down at around 30-40'. Maybe that is just my casting style / flaws.

If the 3 wt has the same kind of action as the 7 wt, I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't work for me, but that certainly doesn't mean that it won't suit you just fine, especially if you get a line on it that works with the rod for the kind of fishing you are going to do with it.

Bottomline - I bought it after looking at several other rods, some much more expensive, because I think it is a really good rod at a reasonable price.

Good luck, and better fishing.

John
    The fish are always right.

I like the FLi rods when I cast them. The 9' 5wt and the 8wt were my top two picks. I ended up buying a Scott A2 because it felt lighter and cast much better to me. Operative word is to me, cast both, though.
    B

I have a 8 wt. FLi. It's kind of a poor man's Z. Not that it's overly cheap though. Nice Rod. I like the way it casts. I'd call it medium stiff. I tested it and put it on the Sexyloops database for both stiffness and monent of inertia. I can cast rather easily in the 70 foot range with it and I am not the best caster in the world by any means. I like Sage stuff and this rod is typical of their work.

Bob

I don't own one (yet) but I have cast them and they're very nice rods. Smooth casting with quick recovery (better than some of the higher end rods i've tried). You can't go wrong with Sage.

Have a 9 foot 6 weight.I like the rod ,but after fishing a friendsSLT I noticed a pretty good difference in physical weight.Mine casts good and I have caught a lot of fish with it. I bought mine when they first came out so the honeymoon is over with it ,its a good rod in my mind.

I have a FLi 8 wt. I use for reds. BUT... I recently had an opportunity to cast the Launch series, which is their entry level rod for $199, and found it casts better than the FLi.

Larry Offner

Default Fli

I use the 5 weight FLi 4 piece. Absolutely love it. The action is fast. I know they say it is a medium fast, but in my opinion, it casts a lot stiffer than a medium fast.

It definitely has power through the rod, and I can really get some good line speed on it. The senstivity is nice for a rod this stiff, and the cork grip and seat are very nice IMO.

The another thing I like abou the FLi, is compared to some of the other rods I checked out, it definitely feels like it has a solid backbone to it. I have fought some good size bass and trout on it, and you never feel as if the rod can't handle it.

I love my FLi.
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    Never thirsty, ever drinking,
    All in mail never clinking.
    - Riddle

I ended up geting 386-4 Fli 8'6" 3wt. I have only got out 2 times but I realy like it. Thanks everyone for your input.

+ Reply to Thread