+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: people

Default people

Let me prefiss this with I am not trying to be offensive or mean BUT

What is up with people. I built rods for people for a price. I am not advertizing here just making a statement. Had a guy the 4th of July want a 6FT 2 weight rod built. He gave me his specs and I gve him a price $1000. He wanted the best cork, snake skin inlays, jungle cock inlays on the joints and the best guides, with a nice reel seat. I asked him what he was going to be fishing with it to get a better picture of how to build it. He is putting it in a case in his closet. He will not be using the rod. I know I should not be upset but my goodness why pay that much for a rod to put in a closet. Now to me that is stupid when in reality you can get a nice rod built that is very much fishable and preforms very very well for under $300, depending on what you want. First off with snakeskin inlays under all the guides you are taking away from the action and paying someone to make the rod worse instead of better. For most that use a short rod in a light weight it is for small streams and the better the action the better the fishing, least wise in my opinion. I love fly fishing but I refuse to spend gobs of money for equipment. I still catch just as many fish and can cast far enough to get to the fish. This year because of all the medical things going on I am not going to make the idaho fish-in. Next year without fail barring any life threatning emergencies I will be at the fish-in and will wrap a rod while there. May even give it away. Thanks for listening my friends

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Some folks just have too much money.................................ModocDan

Exactly, Bob. If the guy has this "kind of money" where he can have you make him a simple "ego stick to show his cronies", do it and let it go at that.
    Obviously, if YOU don't built it, (and pocket the grand, while smiling and shaking your head), someone ELSE will anyway.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Unfortunately I am one of those guys that takes great pride in what he does. I built the rod and sent it to him and he was very happy to pay but I want my rods to be used. I have to date taken back two rods and built a different one cause the person did not like the way it cast. sold the others at a discounted price. Just the way I do things. I love building rods and have built over 400 to date, but I want them to be used.

Harleybob,

You should consider it an honor that this guy thinks enough of your work to have as a show piece, a work of art to be admired for its beauty.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I thought the first rule of the tailor business was that if the customer wanted sleeves on his vest, you gave him sleeves on his vest but made sure he knew what he was getting.

Sorry you will not make the Idaho FI. Really would have liked you to cover one of the evenings. I understand the 'rod' problem and can see both sides. If it's just as an 'investment' to be sold for big bucks when you're dead,,, then maybe,,, oh well,,, your choice I guess.

Harleybob,
    Apparently you're an artist at the rod building trade and this client wants to purchase YOUR intellectual/artistic property to display. I can't imagine ANYONE paying THAT kind money for a
    display rod UNLESS there was some builder NAME factor involved. Kinda like a Kusse etc. I always assume that anyone with money didn't get there because he/she was stupid so I'll give this client the benefit of the doubt. He must have wanted YOUR work. Personally, I would build the rod and bask in all the implications.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    Sorry you will not make the Idaho FI. Really would have liked you to cover one of the evenings. I understand the 'rod' problem and can see both sides. If it's just as an 'investment' to be sold for big bucks when you're dead,,, then maybe,,, oh well,,, your choice I guess.
    I was THINKING that he wanted the rod so when Bob croaks it will potentially double in value, but something inside me said that would not be the proper thing to say here. How wrong I was.... Thanks, JC. I was starting to think there was something wrong with me, but after your response echoed my deviant thoughts, I now realize that I'm really OK. You're a jewel!

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default His Dime, His Phone Call!

Bob,

I don't really understand why you are so upset with this collector. He's paying you very good money for a product and once you turn over the completed rod, it belongs to him. Rather than be angry with him, you should feel flattered that he thinks so highly of your craftsmanship. Many people do exactly the same thing with very expensive, full dress salmon flies. They collect them because they are beautiful not because they want to fish them. Bob, no hard feeling I hope. It's just my two percent of a dollar. 8T

+ Reply to Thread