+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite rod...

Default Favorite rod...

Ok, I am thinking ahead for something to start saving for. I have a gap in my rod collection, i jump from 3wt to 7wt. I am looking for a place to start. I've cast a few but I haven't found a rod I like yet. Money isn't a concern, I'll make my final choice after casting them.

Just tell me what your favorite fishing rod in 4-5-6 weight is and why? What do you use it for (species, techniques and conditions)? What would you change (looks, parts, cork)? If you could have any rod what would it be? I'm looking for actual experience with the rod and not just a wish list.

I have a TFO TiCr 9' 5wt 4pc that is a great all-purpose rod. Handles everything from trout to bass and light saltwater. Nice components, feels light and crisp in hand, casts a WF5F with ease. Not the best rod for big flies, but then again as a 5wt rod it shouldn't be asked to do that regularly.

Marty

Sage ZXL..5wt

I have Sage SLT & Z-Axis and will fish either interchangeably with the ZXL but have to say I really like the ZXL

Species is trout...stillwaters now but the ZXL makes me want to go river dry fly fishing.

I have a number of lesser end rods and they're ok but don't compare with these.

One rod choice would equal the ZXL.

I use a 7' 6" , 5 wt, hollow built bamboo rod most of the time. This rod will almost do it all. It fishes well short and very comfortable out to 70'. I have on several occasions cast all 90' of the fly line. Things have to be just right for that trick. I make this taper in 7' 6" and 7' 9". Both are good. The 7' 6" is my most popular rod with my customers. I also make a 8', 5wt hollow built bamboo that is becomming popular.

fishbum

I love my Sage XP #5, the only thing I would change is I would have the 4 piece instead of the 2 piece. I use it for all my summer stream fishing and it handles the wind very well.
    All the best.
    Mike.

In marked contrast to the above TFO TiCr I'd suggest the Winston WT 8'6" 5 wt. It is my favorite rod of all time and fits right in your gap. It is the quintessential trout rod, a classic. It's a true 5 wt. that actually casts best with 5 wt. lines. Beautiful dry fly rod, fishes nymphs well and dry/dropper well. It's not a parking lot, distance competition, casting rod. It is a fly fishing rod and for me the smoothest, most accurate 5 wt. I've ever cast.

Being a "Dry Fly Nut", my favorite go to rod is my Green River "Jade"-Model.
    An 8'-6" 5wt. that can do anything I ask of it.I fish with it for Trout on the western rivers, in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana.
    As to "what would you change?", there's not a thing, I'd change on this rod.
    "If I could have any, rod, what would it be?" Another Green River,in their "Enso" line, in a 4wt.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

May favorite 4 wt is a Sage ZXL 490-4. When fishing dries I like the slower action which allows me a more delicate presentation. My favorite 5 wt is a Sage XP 590-4. I use this a lot for lake fishing and streams that tend to be windy and the faster action helps to drive my flies through the wind. My favorite 6 wt is a Sage Z-Axis 690-4. This is my favorite rod for fishing streamers and larger flies. My main target with all of these rods are trout and the occassional smallmouth bass.

I have been considering a switch rod. This type of rod would be great for fishing tree lined lake shores where getting good distance is a must.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Default 5 and 6 wts

I have a Winston Joan Wulff 8'6" 5 wt. that is a beautiful rod. I fish it with a 5-1/2 wt line and can toss some fairly large streamers. I've used it for nymphing trout and all kinds of LM fishing. I find the thumb spot very helpful when casting.

I have used the new Clearwater II 5 wt 2-pc and own the 4-pc 6 wt. Moderate fast, a 25 yr warranty, and under $200. If you can, try casting these babies.

I also have a Scott S3 9' 6wt, that is very fast. It is a great rod and will cast some big flies. But it is too fragile for me and I have snapped the tip twice. Scott has fixed it both times, but if you or anyone else is interested, I am willing to part with it. I have $425 invested, so.....
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Sage SLT 8'6", 4 piece in 5 wgt. Use it for trout, light salt (Sea Run Cutthroat and Resident Silver Salmon) summer steelhead. What would I change, I'd have a couple more in case I get stupid and break this one.

A John Channer 7'6" 2 piece, 2 tip bamboo rod in 4 wgt. Lovely trout rod. What would I change, not a thing.

+ Reply to Thread