+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Orleans Redfish

Default New Orleans Redfish

Just wondering, what are the best times of the year for targeting New Orleans redfish in the shallows from a kayak?

Also, any tips on good locations for self guided kayak fishing in that same area?

Kilroy, You might want to check out this site for your info.

http://laflyfish.com/index.php

Tight lines, Chris

If you can catch an episode of "Dollar Wise Fly", he fished the New Orleans area for redfish from a kayak. In that episode, he used a "piggy back" service to get the kayak out to the fishing grounds. The salt marshes south of New Orleans can be a real tricky place. It is very easy to get lost, so take a GPS and a radio if you go on your own. Probably the best time for redfish is spring and fall, but redfish can be had year round.

Default Redfish - Louisiana

Best Redfishing times: The very best times are the fall... less winds and larger, more active reds.

Where: Just find shallow flats/ponds/marsh in salt water... east, south, or west of New Orleans.

Info: http://www.laflyfish.com/index.php Check out the forums - General Topics, Puddler Forum and Club Information sections, as all these sections will have information about fishing for reds with longrods out of paddlecraft. Some of the local FFF club newsletters are posted at this website and contain some great how and where info (i.e. check out the Red Stick FlyFisher's July Issue of their Red Letter).

Bowfin47

Default LA redfish

Another option is to hook-up with some members of the local FFF clubs.

Cool How about our Saltwater?

I know there is a lot to read, and because of the volume it is easy to miss something, BUT can you believe we have excellent articles on Redfish in LA?
    Try this:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...er/part156.php

Check the Archive too.
    Last edited by LadyFisher; 07-29-2008 at 01:44 AM.

Thanks Ladyfisher,
    Being Aircrew in the Military I get to go to the Simulator, Biloxi, MS, and the panhandle of Florida enouph, and sometimes I can schedule my times that I go away, so I try real hard to schedule around peak fishing times. The one year I caught a nice redfish right off the inlet in Destin. Those are really great fish to catch on the fly. It's a tough job but someone has to do it. I can also assure everyone they are getting their money's worth out of me.

Default Thank You!

Really, we do thank you for your service. And we do understand the need to recreate to maintain ones abilities too....catch one for me!

Quote Originally Posted by jkilroy View Post
    Being Aircrew in the Military I get to go to the Simulator, Biloxi, MS,
    If you can plan a few days away while you are in Biloxi, you might want to try and book a mothership trip to the Chandeleurs or, later in the fall, the marsh. I've fished with Capt. Troy Fountain aboard the Double Trouble and had some great trips. 2 1/2 days fishing, good food, meet some great people and have a wonderful time. Here is his site if you like to take a look.

Tight lines, Chris

http://www.chandeleurcharters.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread