+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Streamer For Trout

Default Favorite Streamer For Trout

Here it is a chance to help me out, Im just getting into streamer fishing and the only streamer I know that can produce results for me so far is a white, brown, and olive wooley bugger. Any suggestions on something different that I could tie up that could produce the same or even better results on trout?
    Thank You
    Marko

Marko,

Semiseal leech. Very easy tie, hugely effective fly (not just for trout, though, lots of fish will eat it). Comes in lots of great colors. My personal favorites are black, brown and olive, but chartruese and orange are good too.

You might want to consider a traditional bucktail type streamer or it's more modern variations (the Gierach Special and it's friends are a favorite of mine). Simple tie, the variations can imitate most minnows and fry.

Still, hard to beat the 'bugger, though.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:79454]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:79454]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

[url=http://homepage.mac.com/riverwader/.Pictures/tying/Gotoflies/images/MHook.jpg:be6e7]http://homepage.mac.com/riverwader/.Pictures/tying/Gotoflies/images/MHook.jpg[/url:be6e7]

[This message has been edited by P.Dieter (edited 04 October 2005).]

4. Default

Foxee Clouser is a great one, and anything with magnum sized bunny strips.....

Gartside's Soft hackle streamer

------------------
    "The trout were laughing so hard at us that they considered evolving legs so they could crawl on to land and catch their breath"
    Dave Barry
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Black Bugger, Foxee Clouser, and a White Crystal Bugger are my top 3.

My favorites (in this order):

1. Shenk's white minnow in size 8 or 10
    2. Clouser' Foxee Minnow in size 10
    3. All black Woolly Bugger with flash in the tail.

Any of these 3 will catch trout where I fish. These are my go to flies when I can't figure out what they're eating.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Small black or white marabou muddler...come on, no muddler fans out there??

[This message has been edited by Copper Dropper (edited 05 October 2005).]

Its very hard to beat a woolly bugger in effectiveness. The only pattern to come close is the muddler minnow.

Ditto on the Muddler, my favorite is a small (size 10 3XL hook) Muddler with a conehead. Make the tail and wing out of grouse, the body out of peacock. Another one I like is a Smuddler, use a size 14 3XL hook, some red hackle fibers for the tail, silver tinsel for the body, and a deer hair head, no wing.

Alberto

+ Reply to Thread