+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What rod for trout and wind?

Default What rod for trout and wind?

Hello all. I haven't fished much the last couple of years. Well....actually in the last 1/2 century. Anyway...went to the trout creek with NEW neighbors and their grandkids. I took along an 11' 6wt that I like a whole bunch. Have fished it there before and from a pontoon tube. This day had far too long a rod, far too long a leader and way too much wind. Absolutely horrible. Absolutely impossible to fly fish with that set up.

It made me wonder, because I will get wind every day up here sometime during the day fishing. I wondered what would be a good set up for windy conditions. I am not going to fish in a hurricane...but on the other hand....have times when I wish had a more appropriate rod, when the wind comes up...either at the stream or even out on the lake.

It is pretty apparent to me a short stiff rod with a lot of power in the butt section. Perhaps a 6' 7wt? Or...a 6' 3wt. The smaller diameter of the 3wt will have less resistance to the wind. But....the heavier 7wt line would have a lot of power behind it to plow through the wind.

So my question is...what is a good rod weight/length set up? Short stiff and heavy line or short stiff and light line?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gemrod

Learn the double-haul. That will help you more than any particular rod.

Gemrod,
    My G Loomis GL3, 9ft. 9 in. 7 wt., has been a great float tube rod for me.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

My $.02

1) What gutbomb said - then you don't hve to screw up a perfect setup for when the wind isn't blowing.

2) Short rods = less energy in the line = shorter casts, plus I hate short stiff rods - you can't feel the loading.

3) Get an extra spool with 2 line weights heavier for windy stuff and switch spools when the wind comes up.

Bob

Here's a couple of tips that work for me.

How to deal with wind.
    1 - avoid head on wind whenever possible.
    2 - use a very fast, powerful rod for 6 to 8 wt.
    3 - Increase the line wt if windy conditions are only occassional otherwise get an outfit that balances well for windy conditions. Overlining is more easily done on faster, stiffer rods. They won't "bottom out" under force.
    4 - casting sidewarm can help get you down and out of the stronger winds plus it seems to layout the leader better for me. Basically, I can play the hook/slice by changing casting hands.
    5 - Increase line speed by single, double or even triple hauling. This will help you with any outfit you choose. If you have to live with wind you'll need to HAUL LINE!

Here's an article that my help. http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/tintowind.shtml

Good luck!

I always seem to be fishing in the wind, so for me, it's deal with it or stay home

One thing that works very well for me in a strong wind (but isn't always feasible ) is I switch to a full sinking line
    Sinking lines are much thinner than floating lines and can cut through wind much easier. Shorter leader to deal with too.

At a casting clinic last winter, I asked Bob Clouser what was the best way to deal with wind blowing over your casting shoulder.
    He gave me a single word answer
    "Move"
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Smile Wind it is the normal thing here in Oklahoma

Use an intermediate or sinking line both have smaller diameters than a floater. Use a shorter heavier tapered leader

We use 9' rods in windy conditions here in OK.

1)use a single or double haul
    2) Change your stroke
    Wind in your face: Stop your back cast at 11 and bring your forward stop closer to the water, Crouching or kneeling will also help. you can also cast side arm just above the water
    Wind coming from your casting hand side: tip your rod over your opposite shoulder to cast or cast w/ your off hand
    Wind behind you: stop your backcast at 3 and your foward stop at 11 and let it fly or roll cast

There are a lot of theories out there when it comes to fly casting and the wind. About the only thing that you can do is try them all out and see that many of them are nonsense. Some things work and some don't. Buying the perfect solution isn't one of them that works.

But the only way to figure it out is to try them and try some other things. I have tried them all and there isn't one easy solution, mostly it is a few things together.

Become very efficent with your cast and try to work with the wind as much as possible. For example if the wind is blowing at your face isn't it easier to shoot your line with it on the back cast instead of into it on the forward?????

Learn how to cast with both hands so the wind is never able to blow the fly against your body.

Make sure the line is heavy enough to pull the fly you want to use against the wind, not neccessarily over lining, but heavy enough.

I like to use a 10.5 foot rod with a floating line into the surf, the bigger the better. If I can't use that set up then it isn't worth fly fishing for me, so sinking lines and short rods are out. I took some really nasty days to try and figure out how to make it work. There were a lot of little things to practice and figure out but eventually I was able to do it.

So in other words experiment and try the not so usual stuff.

Red face The wind is fun

With me, I like to practice casting into the wind.

Line speed and tight loops can overcome most windy conditions.

This can be done with a double haul or a single haul with crisp
    clean stops. Once you have mastered the feel of this type of
    casting challenge it really is quite fun.

I always say the wind is my friend it has helped my casting
    practice and really made my casting better.

Practice and just when you think you have got it, practice some more.
    One thing about casting that make it so personal is the feel of it..
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Go heavier, I never understood the thinner line argument, in experience no matter how much I double haul in a strong wind a 3 weight gets blown around. I say 6-7 weight and shorter lengths like 8-8.5' would be my choice trout fishing in heavy wind.

+ Reply to Thread