+ Reply to Thread

Thread: John's Spider Spider

Default John's Spider Spider

Jeff, Congrats on a very well done FOTW. Great pics and writing. Now to add a few to the box.

Thanks Ron. It doesn't take long to whip a few of these out. The building of the abdomen takes the most time, and it is tempting to just dub one big blob, but I'm pretty sure if done that way the dubbing will just come apart once it gets wet and heavy.

I suppose if one used foam for the abdoment then this might just float in the surface film nicely, and the starling "legs" would add some movement. I don't tie with foam myself, so I'm not sure how it might react. It's possible it might float like a feeding duck and look silly!

- Jeff

One question, Jeff, I have a couple of pheasant skins, they have quills on them, but they're males, wondered how a hen skin quill might be different?

Default It works just fine

Jeff,

Really liked your fly also; so, tied some yesterday substituting what I had but using your instructions. Tied body with "Whitlock's Helgramite" brown dubbing, hatchback was a turkey feather slip and legs were from a black hen hackle. Don't worry about it working as I took it to out Trout Unlimited Chapter picnic yesterday and passed out a couple to some members. They quickly caught two nice rainbows in one of the ponds on the property. Going to put a few more in my arsenal soon.

Hi herefishy,

I think either male or female would work fine. Basically, any quill feather should work, or pheasant tail fibres, etc. Anything you would use for a shellback on a nymph. I liked the colours of the hen pheasant feathers that I have. Woodcock, or grouse, or partridge tail, etc, all would do the trick.

- Jeff

Hi Grn Mt Man,

Thanks for that info! I have yet to get a chance to get out and try them so I'm pleased to hear they worked and held up!

- Jeff

Thanks, Jeff, I figured as much, just wanted to make sure I had the right idea.

+ Reply to Thread