+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing Vermont?

Question Fishing Vermont?

I'm headed up to the Killington, Vermont area next week for four or five days to do some Mt. biking and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction for some good trout flyfishing. I know it may be hot the fourth week in July. Hoping to find some streams worth wetting flies in? Thanks for any help. Ron G.

I'm not an expert on Vermont, but since no one else has chimed in...
    I've fished the White River and it's tributaries a bit, and I know that in the summer there is some very large fish to be caught.... as long as you're fishing at first light.
    If it was me, I'd concentrate on some of the mountain brooks in the national forest area. Especially the "young" beaver ponds, ones that haven't been around long enough to get silted in.
    There's a lot in that area.... all you have to do is find them
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Fatman Guest

Ron,

Don't really fish that area as I'm 2 hours from there, but you could check with

http://www.blueridgeoutfitter.net/services.htm

or heres a site on fishing in that area http://gonewengland.about.com/gi/dyn...g.com/fishing/

and you can also go to Vt fish and wildlife site to download a pdf file on the Vermont fishing guide and it lists all the waters in that area,

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/lawsdigest.cfm

you just need to look for Rutland County and it will list the map of the area in the guide.

One other bet is to check out the Fly Rod Shop in Stowe, you can email or call and see if they have any contacts about stream conditions down in that area.

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet...hop/StoreFront

Hope this helps,

Fatman

I'll second Dudley's suggestion. The White is a very nice river, with some very large trout, in it. My favorite stream, in that area, would be the Ottauquechee. It starts in the Killington/Pico area and those upper sections hold some very nice brookies and browns. It's a beautiful stream.

Contact Kevin Ladden, a local guide out of Ludlow. He can steer you in the right direction.

Default Thanks

Thanks guys,
    The info was very helpful. Esp the websites. I knew I could count on FAOL for good advise. Again, thanks. Ron G.

Fatman Guest

Just remember that Didymo (Rock Snot) has been found in the White, Battenkill - if you drive real far the opposite way and recently found in the Mad River. Don't want to spread anything around.

Fatman

I would second the Ottauquechee. It pretty much parallels Rt 4 almost down to White River Junction. I like the stretch between Bridgewater and Woodstock. I've always caught some trout when I've fished it over the years. There's a small stream that parallels 100A that use to hold brookies, not sure if it still does. Same is true for the Black River which starts above Plymouth and parallels Rt 100 till it joins Rt 3 above Ludlow. It flows through a series of 3 lakes, and there is some shore access to the lakes. I've caught pike, smallmouth, largemouth, rock bass, sunfish, big golden shiners and the occasional trout from the lakes fishing from shore. Try the outflow below the last lake. In the spring in holds brookies, smallmouth and rock bass, later in the summer I've piicked up browns along with the warmwater fish there. Below Ludlow there's a trophy stretch, where they stock some mighty big trout and a bunch of annoying salmon smolts.
    I like the White River more for smallmouths than the trout. I've fished it from the junction of Rt 7 and 100 down to White River Junction. It's mostly trout from there down to Sharon, below Sharon is a stretch of where you can catch trout and smallmouth and closer to White River Junction it's pretty much a smallmouth river.
    It's beautiful country, but I haven't been up there in about 3 years.

+ Reply to Thread