+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What fly vise would you recommend of these.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Griffin rules! I love my Mongoose.

I am thinking of getting a Nor-Vise for a back-up.

I have had a Regal Vise for 15 years, a Renzetti Traveler for 10 years, and a Dyna-King for 4 years. I never use the Regal any longer.

I looked at the Griffen Mongoose but did not like what felt like clutter around the head.

I tie stuff from size 22 through 10/0. The Renzetti does not hold hooks above 3/0 as well as the Dyna King, though I can get a good hold on 4/0 hooks with careful jaw adjustment. The Dyna King jaws are rock solid for all sizes of hooks. If you tie small stuff, Dyna King has a midge jaw option. The Dyna King feels much more solid than the Renzetti.

My Renzetti holds hooks from 3/0 down very well. With both the Dyna King and the Renzetti, it takes a little bit of practice to consistently get the jaw adjustments dialed in perfectly for each hook. While the Renzetti does not seem as solid as the Dyna King, it is solid enough. Both are smooth in operation.

Today, I tend to use both vises equally with the Dyna King getting more use for larger flies and the Renzetti for smaller. However, often I will just use the one that happens to be set up on the bench.

However, If I was going to just have one vise, it would be the Renzetti, with the additional Clouser Minnow Arm accessory. This combo would give me the true rotary option that can be converted in to straight arm vise for tying longer streamer patterns. With the bent arm, it can be awkward at times to tie on the underside of the hook, especially when tying longer materials on the bottom.

But I have both and am not giving up either.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 07-04-2008 at 02:24 AM.

tailingloop....wanna sell that Regal you never use?
    Mark 1:17

4. Default

base wise what does the nor vise come with?

Smile

I have tied with about 10 vises over the last 35 plus years starting with the old thompson vise and now for the last several years have been tying with a Barracuda that I modified'

I tye using a c-clamp with the vise inverted, ie vise down. found it very good.

Also still have the Thompson vise,a Traveler and the Squire.

Had a McKenzie which I sold and bought the Barrcuda, good exchange in my opinion.

Northwoods

(where the northerns and Smallmouth bass were biting for me last week in very northen Minnesota)

If you have the money go with renzetti

+ Reply to Thread