+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coeur d'Alene, ID area fishing

Default Coeur d'Alene, ID area fishing

What's the fishing like around there? No hotspotting, just want a general overview.

According to Northwest Outfitter out of Cd'A, the northfork is fishable in the upper reaches. The St. Joe however is still blown out, but they expect it to be fishable by the end of July. Here's a link;

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/id/nwis/uv...agency_cd=USGS
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Even though I live in Fresno now ~~ the North Fork of the CDA is my home water. Just seeing the area mentioned brings back fond memories. I wish I didn't live 22 hours away ~~ by car.

They must have had a real hard winter for the St. Joe to be still blown out. But I always found fishing in September to be the best.

30 miles North of Coeur d' Alene is Cocalalla Lake which is full of trout and other species. They poisoned it in 1960 which is the last time I fished it. A few more miles to the North on the West side of the road is a small lake whose name I have forgotten. It has a few rented cabins which are cool. It is full of Kamloops rainbows. A few miles further North to Sandpoint is Pend d'Orielle Lake which is a glacial made lake, long and deep with many creeks and rivers entering. The record Kamloop 50 years ago was 37 pounds. Use strong leader. The area is alive with fish in numerous lakes and rivers. Check with sporting goods stores in Sandpoint.

Thumbs up

Benjo,

Lotech is right. The upper reaches of the CDA River is still a little high, but fishable. The lower part is running clear, but still high, fast and dangerous for wading. The Joe is still high, fast and dangerous as well. Pete, the lake that you referred to north of Cocolalla Lake is Round Lake, a State Park. There's another one east of Highway 95 called Mirror Lake, great fishing and the place where some of the movie "Dante's Peak" was filmed. We had a very deep snowpack this year. In fact, There was still snow skiing on Lookout Pass the first weekend of June.....Best Regards....
    Last edited by Joel D. Popham; 07-12-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Additional comments
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Benjo:

As a general overview, you can find just about anything you are looking for within an hours drive of Coeur d'Alene. In addition to the streams mentioned, Cda lake itself is good and has the usual trouts + lake trout, kokanee, and pike. There are several good Bass lakes just across the line in Washington and several choices for pan fish if thats your thing.

As for the streams, the time for the North Fork and the St Joe is NOW! I spent three days on the North Fork two weeks ago and it was definitely fishable then. in the upper reaches you could wade clear across almost anywhere ( thigh deep ) and the water temp was up to 58 and clear. Since then flows have dropped 40%. The Joe has likewise fallen fast and the upper reaches are good with lots of golden stones and drakes. Despite the rumors that there are no fish in northern Idaho, you don't need to wait until the end of July.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky Wadr View Post
    Benjo:

As a general overview, you can find just about anything you are looking for within an hours drive of Coeur d'Alene. In addition to the streams mentioned, Cda lake itself is good and has the usual trouts + lake trout, kokanee, and pike. There are several good Bass lakes just across the line in Washington and several choices for pan fish if thats your thing.

As for the streams, the time for the North Fork and the St Joe is NOW! I spent three days on the North Fork two weeks ago and it was definitely fishable then. in the upper reaches you could wade clear across almost anywhere ( thigh deep ) and the water temp was up to 58 and clear. Since then flows have dropped 40%. The Joe has likewise fallen fast and the upper reaches are good with lots of golden stones and drakes. Despite the rumors that there are no fish in northern Idaho, you don't need to wait until the end of July.
    Thanks buddy,
    I'll be planning a trip soon.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread