+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Presenting Brookus bassa: The Smallmouth

Default Presenting Brookus bassa: The Smallmouth

Hi. I have a free to read chapter about the smallmouth bass from my new book, Small Fry, published online here:

Presenting Brookus bassa: The Smallmouth

http://www.globalflyfisher.com/writings/small-fry/?c=2

Global Fly Fisher is serializing my new book, Small Fry: The Lure of the Little, which is almost exclusively about small warm waters and the fish we seek there. The chapters are free and will be published every other Monday. Next up, on July 14th, will be one about the redbreast sunfish.

Rod & Reeling & Writing Regards,

-- ron P.

p.s. You might recognize a few of the names scattered throughout the story . . .

http://www.ronpswegman.com/

Good read ronP. I noticed you didn't list woolly buggers or poppers in the fly list, however. I know you can substitute some of the other streamers for the bugger, and the dries for the popper, but there are differences. I don't get hung up with buggers as much as clousers, and they get a bit deeper than muddlers (although cone-head muddlers are a bit of a different story). And the problem I have with using any dry fly, is that it attracts the attention of other stream denizens (chubs, small panfish etc.), which tends to sink the fly prematurely. The popper is a bit too large for the chubs, and of course will be more buoyant.

Quote Originally Posted by jsalkas View Post
    Good read ronP. I noticed you didn't list woolly buggers or poppers in the fly list, however. I know you can substitute some of the other streamers for the bugger, and the dries for the popper, but there are differences. I don't get hung up with buggers as much as clousers, and they get a bit deeper than muddlers (although cone-head muddlers are a bit of a different story). And the problem I have with using any dry fly, is that it attracts the attention of other stream denizens (chubs, small panfish etc.), which tends to sink the fly prematurely. The popper is a bit too large for the chubs, and of course will be more buoyant.

Hi. Thanks for the thumbs up feedback, jsalkas . . .

I use the Olive Woolly Bugger all the time for smallmouth, and the only reason I didn't play up that pattern in the chapter is simply because it has received so mush press. I didn't want to go through the motions and write what has been written before. There is so little room for originality nowadays because there are practically as many fly fishers at the computer keyboard as there are at the tying vice! That's why I went in the Small Fry direction -- to boldly cast where no fly fishing writer has cast before!

;p-)

Rod & Reeling & Writing Regards,

-- ron P.

p.s. Don't for get to check out the new chapter next Monday!

http://www.ronpswegman.com

I had a hunch it was something like that. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Thanks!

Ron,
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. As with many others, I get hung up on the "standard" patterns, to include sneaky petes & seldom get creative by trying other patterns. Now I have other ideas which just add to the experience. Thanks, & I will also look forward to the next chapter.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread