+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sales tax stupidity

Default Sales tax stupidity

This is now the sales tax in Cook County Illinois, 10 %. The idiot county board president really thinks this will raise revenue. I for one , because I can, will avoid spending a DIME in this county. Only those in the inner city ( Chicago) who can least afford this ridiculous rate will have to pay. One of our towns within the county is considering seceding from the county. This rate is REDICULOUS.

That's nothing compared to what we'll pay if certain social programs go through as some people would like to see done. In some countries I've traveled to, they have GST and PST in place to support government and social programs. Some Canadian Provinces are paying 13%. The same stupidity prevails in Cleveland, Ohio's Cuyahoga County. They have succeeded in driving out the revenue to the surrounding counties with rates below their 7.75%. Our once magnificent downtown shopping mall, the Gallaria, is now a shell of its former self, and people come downtown for events AFTER they have eaten in the suburban counties. With fewer dollars being spent in the city, retail businesses cannot survive, so they go under or move to adjoining tax-friendly counties. I live in Lake County right next to Cuyahoga, and our tax rate was actually lowered to 6.25%. Yes, we are thriving and continue to add businesses and residential housing units because of a lower tax rate. Big city politicians don't seem to understand how this works.

As you said, those who can least afford it are paying the price of government greed for non-food items in the major cities in this country.
    Last edited by Joe Valencic; 07-09-2008 at 08:23 AM.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

So FAR, anyway, there is NO sales tax in the state of Oregon. Of course, they get the working classes money through "State of Oregon Employment Taxes".
    However the "mentally deficient" local government girls and boys of the county I live in, (Clatsop), decided last year, to impose "their own gasoline tax" of .o3 @ gallon on any and all fuels sold within the county.
    This was such a "brilliant move" that not ONE gas station, that sat within 10 miles of the county line, (adjoining a county over) is in business today.
    Folks, living within 10 miles or so, of an adjoining county, simply drove a little bit further to fill up!
    In LESS than one year, 27 Clatsop County service stations went under, due to this brilliant move to "bring more revenue into Clatsop County".
    Last edited by flybinder; 07-09-2008 at 09:50 AM.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    So FAR, anyway, there is NO sales tax in the state of Oregon. Of course, they get the working classes money through "State of Oregon Employment Taxes".
    However the "mentally deficient" local government girls and boys of the county I live in, (Clatsop), decided last year, to impose "their own gasoline tax" of .o3 @ gallon on any and all fuels sold within the county.
    This was such a "brilliant move" that not ONE gas station, that sat within 10 miles of the county line, (adjoining a county over) is in business today.
    Folks, living within 10 miles or so, of an adjoining county, simply drove a little bit further to fill up!
    In LESS than one year, 27 Clatsop County service stations went under, due to this brilliant move to "bring more revenue into Clatsop County".

Pure genius. Did any of your politicians graduate beyond the 8th grade? Why don't they just setup a police barricade at the county line and have people empty their wallets before entering or leaving the county? Oops! Sorry, I didn't mean to give them another idea to feather their nests. Just who are the voters who keep these thieves in office? Doesn't say much for their constituency.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Sales tax is a source on irritation for me. I guess its because its simple enough for me to understand.
    As I was walking into my polling place one election a poll worker approached asking me to vote for some sales tax increase. I said "no". He said "you've gotten a raise haven't you?". I said "Every time there is a retail price increase sales tax revenue goes up".
    When I went into retail in 1962 the sales tax rate here was 2%. They did everything with that 2% they do with sales tax money. But its not enough, they need more.
    The sales tax now is approaching 8%....that is a 400% increase in the rate from 1962 to present, not factoring in inflation. I don't know what the inflation figure would be in the last 46 years but it has to be an astronomical increase in revenue generated by sales tax.
    Federal, state and local governments never do with less as we do in these times of high inflation. Vote every one of them out of office. We should vote people in that are fiscally responsible.....but I don't think thats ever going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    We should vote people in that are fiscally responsible.....but I don't think thats ever going to happen.
    It's not going to happen, because fiscally responsible people also have common sense, have real jobs, and are smart enough to avoid politics at all costs. I have watched two good friends change dramatically once they got into politics. We don't speak today (their choice, not mine) because we disagree on too many issues that they support, and which keep them in office.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

[QUOTE=Joe Valencic;240439]to support government and social programs.QUOTE]

Just wait to see how much more we will get if Hussein is elected!!

His pal Joe Ford here in Tennessee is doing time now for being "Mr. 15%".....basicall his "fee" for doing business with him for State services. What a crook this guy was...and is. Obama will do the same.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

[quote=Big Bad Wulff;240500]
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    to support government and social programs.QUOTE]

Just wait to see how much more we will get if Hussein is elected!!

His pal Joe Ford here in Tennessee is doing time now for being "Mr. 15%".....basicall his "fee" for doing business with him for State services. What a crook this guy was...and is. Obama will do the same.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees what will happen if he gets in. As someone once said, "if you think a dirty diaper is a mess, just wait until he gets in office."

I know it's not politically correct to speak poorly of the nominee, but I have always had a problem with political correctness. I read recently that:

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I think that was right here on FAOL not too long ago, or I received it by e-mail. Whatever, they hit it right on the head.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

First let me say it is politically incorrect to be politically correct Period!

If you don't like the sales tax look at your phone bill next time you get it. You have taxes on there from you city, county, state, federal government, 911, and 17 cousins and their 32 sisters. Here isn Idaho we are at 6% and I deal with it. It doesn't matter who we elect in office we don't have the money to have the politicians vote to save us money. Just my 2 cents

Blog Entries

idiots. "hey the economy's in a decline! what should we do?" "i know! lets raise taxes".
    some people you can't knock sense into with anything less than baseball bat.

+ Reply to Thread