+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Rise: What can we learn?

Question The Rise: What can we learn?

The Rise: What can we learn?

I am new to trout fishing. The last two weeks I have been exposed to two different trout rises and takes. Neither time have I been able to observe what was on the water. Little brownish flys were in the air.

The first week I what I would describe as a ballistic rise (take). It was if rocks were being thrown in the water. Very large splashes and loud noise in the water were this rises trademark.

This week the rise was that of whale scooping up krill. The fish came to the surface with its mouth open, dorsal and tail fins above water. It would stay above water briefly and then quietly submerge. Again I did not see anything on the water but there was a cloud of flys above.

My buddy says it is different stages in the fly life cycle and I would agree, but what stages. Any help/comments are appreciated.

The first rise is most likely more enthusiastic smaller fish that sometimes leap clear of the water tying to eat. I have seen these fish actually leap for insects flying just above the surface. Also, some types of flies (caddis flies are one of the most common) rise very quickly from the bottom to the surface where they emerge as adults and fly away. Some trout key in on this action and follow the rising bugs to eat them and can't always put on the brakes before they hit the surface of the water. These are also usually the most difficult fish to hook after they rise to your fly.

The second rise is of a fish eating an insect on the surface or in the surface film. As you have observed, the fish just opens its mouth and lets the insect fall into its mouth. Larger fish will usually eat like this as it expends little energy to do. Flies that spend a lot of time emerging at the surface are usually eaten this way (midges and some mayflies, both usually small) as are spinners since they are mostly dead and float low in the water. A very general rule would be that hatches happen in the morning and day while spinner falls happen in the evening and at dusk. Also, most mayfly spinners are a brown to rust color with clear wings.
    Last edited by Flyrodde; 07-06-2008 at 06:17 PM.

And if you just see the dorsal fin ..it is likely them taking the emergers just before the surface film.

Default Addendum....

Mark, I'd like to say.... for someone this early "in the game"...you have been very astute...very good observation powers.

I'd say the first time eith the fish was very hungry or was racing his buddy to the prize(more likely). The second time it was just crusing near the surface and took something that looked good to it.
    I wouldn't get all too fired up about caddis vs. whatever. Fish eat insects......end of subject.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I agree that just asking is easier, but this is all well covered in the beginners section. A lot of reading but you may even learn other things you can use too.

Mark -

What Flyrodde said.

The big splashy rises are characteristic of trout chasing emergers, especially caddis. And such rises are not confined to smaller fish - large trout will do the same thing. The little brown bugs may well have been caddis. In some places at some times there are blizzard hatches of this insect. This past spring we had several days of such hatches on the Henry's Fork - made for some great dry fly fishing, but caddis emergers and / or soft hackles would probably do really well in the circumstances you observed.

The second instance strikes me as more likely spinners than emergers. That cloud of flies above the water were likely mating mayflies ?? Dead drifting a rusty spinner would be a good start at that point.

Contrary to what Big Bad Wulff had to say - just saying its bugs and that fish eat bugs is the end of the subject will not get you very far along the path that you seem to be pursuing as an individual.

JC makes a valid point, but after spending several years getting started largely on my own and at least at times wishing there was someone to turn to for a simple, clear, direct answer that I didn't have to search out for myself, and not yet having discovered the FAOL Bulletin Board, I wouldn't discourage anyone from asking any question.

John
    The fish are always right.

Trout rise to marshmallows too, so go figure

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    Trout rise to marshmallows too, so go figure
    Only if you have really good fishing technique !!!
    The fish are always right.

Funny..........

+ Reply to Thread