+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So Just How Good Are The Orvis Helios Rods?

Default So Just How Good Are The Orvis Helios Rods?

This spring I spent the big bucks and bought an Orvis Helios tip flex 8 wt rod and very quickly fell in love with it. It was so much lighter than my other 8 wt I could hardly wait to get it strung up and head down to the local lake and fish stocked trout with it. From my first cast I've been very impressed with the rod. I've hand 8 wt floating, type III sinking line and sink tip, 9 wt floating and 7 wt clouser line on it and it hasn't disappointed me yet. The type III sinking and 7 wt clouser lines seem to work the best of the lot. The thing will cast anything from a small wooly bugger to a large bass bug or fly rod spinner bait without complaint.
    Ok, enough of me singing the praises of this rod. What I really want is an objective opinion not necessarily of this rod but any of the other Helios line of rods from people who have had other premium quality rods. What, in your opinion, are your rods strengths and weaknesses? How would you judge it for accuarcy on both near and far targets? What do you think your rod is best suited for? Bonefish or carp on the flats? Bass bugging, pike, trout?
    I'd like to end up with a more measured and considered opinion of this rod because right now I think I want another one!

Default I guess I'm the Only One With One of These Rods

Judging by the total lack of replies to this thread I guess I'm the only one with one of these rods. I KNOW some of you think as much of your favorite rod as I do mine and I also KNOW there are a lot of rods out there that are excellent. My problem is I have no idea how my rod or any other rod in the Helios lineup stacks up against any other rod. I've been searching the fly fishing magazines for a test report but nothing. Orvis has had a few of their Zero Gravity rods tested against other rods but for some reason none of the new Helios rods.
    Be that as it is I love how effortlessly this rods casts due no doubt by better technique on my part but also the melding of all the various parts of this rod that make it what it is. It's so light it's like waving a feather and line just flies through the guides.
    Just to see how much power this thing has I've got half a notion to put some 10 wt floating line on it and see if I can cast a rapala or some other light crank bait using a regular overhand cast with maybe a double haul thrown in to see how far I can get that thing out. If that works maybe keep on going up the weight and wind resistance scale till I can't get it out 30 ft. I've got time this weekend. It should make an interesting experiment.

I cannot justify the cost of that rod. It is a nice rod, but so are all of the rods I currently own. Glad to hear you like it though, they are light for sure if that is important to you. I like my glass rod and bamboo rod enough that when I switch to any of my graphite rods it feels almost too light. I don't fish saltwater but if I did I bet I would find a real advantage to a rod such as yours for sure.

PS. I am not ripping your rod, I am sure it is a casting machine. I will be interested to see the results of your experiment.
    Last edited by dogtown; 07-02-2008 at 11:38 PM.

I haven't cast the rod because I quickly lost interest. I did handle and shake several, though. They seemed very light and quick and probably would cast a ton of line if you like fast rods.

What stood out the most, however, was how ugly they were. Obviously, a rod is a tool, and aesthetics are not everything. But, this rod is an expensive tool designed for an activity that has an aethetic to it and it ought to be nicely appointed. I also realize that the look of the reel seat, grip, hardware, wraps, color of the blank, etc. are a matter of personal taste.
    But to me, the rod looked garish ... like a woman with too much makeup, too much perfume, too much jewelry, and too big earings.
    I lost interest in casting the rod after this first, bad impression.

For many years I was not a fan of the orvis line of rods, period.
    but that changed with the T3, ok rod.
    I have been able to try out some of the new, yet to be released, Helios rods,I love them.
    I have been casting the new 10' 5wt Helios for awhile now and it is awesome.
    great distance as well as good accuarcy. also very little tip bounce.
    Yes it is expensive, hopefully that will change.
    Simply put the materials that the Helios is made of could be what outdates graphite.
    For the record I am a Orvis endorsed guide, but if this rod was junk I would say so.

Bubba

I absolutely love my 8-1/2 ft 5 wt Helios - it is my "go to" rod. It is very responsive and easy to cast for a variety of situations. So, when I decided to buy an 8 wt, I assumed I would buy another Helios, but decided to try a number of other rods anyway. When I did my personal ranking of all the 8 wts that I tried, the Helios was ranked high, but not my #1 rod. I liked the light feel in my hand, but it took more effort for me to cast for distance than several other rods. Probably just my casting style, but I ended up buying a Sage Xi2......but my 5 wt Helios is still my "go to" rod when I want something in that wt range.

i have been wanting to try one. i too have been waiting for a review on them. orvis might be gun shy after the reviews on their zero gravity. i do like their superfine rods and love the t-3 6 wt. saltwater rod! im thinking the helios would be an insane rod for fishing the gulf here in mississippi!
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Quote Originally Posted by mnklagoon View Post
    i have been wanting to try one. i too have been waiting for a review on them. orvis might be gun shy after the reviews on their zero gravity. i do like their superfine rods and love the t-3 6 wt. saltwater rod! im thinking the helios would be an insane rod for fishing the gulf here in mississippi!
    Don't believe everything you read. I absolutely love my Zero, which is why the Helios. But I still grab the Zero first.

cycler,

I don't have a Helios, but I am very interested in the results of the experiments you talked about. Keep us informed.
    Tim

Default Tried a 6 wt

I had a chance to cast a 6 wt Helios right after they came out. I wanted one right then and there - but couldn't justify the price. The first cast was a little off as I was used to my own rods which tend to be in the mid price range. But by the third cast I was shooting line further than I ever had before. If you need distance and accuracy, this may be the rod. I just can't figure where to get the money to buy one.

TxEngr

+ Reply to Thread