+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newest ties - hairy weenie

Default Newest ties - hairy weenie

These may not be very pretty but if they catch fish, I'll work on the pretty with the next batch.

What do you all think?

Introducing the hairy weenie.

Jeff

2. Default

Is this the source of the unidentified fly tying material used in the "hairy weenie" series of flies?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mAngler View Post
    Is this the source of the unidentified fly tying material used in the "hairy weenie" series of flies?
    Yes, those are the legs from "Kush balls".

I apologize for not identifying it. I wasn't trying to be secretive, it was late when I posted.

The "ingredients" are

a "twist" of lead wire tied to the underside of the hook shank (hopefully to balance it out)

Hackle (I used soft hen hackle on some and stiffer rooster hackle on some to see what looked best and what will look best in the water - I think the soft hackle may be the ticket).

A "Kush ball" leg tied to the top of the hook shank. (and my half hearted attempt to "segment" it).

I tied a couple styles, one where I tied the "leg" on the hook shank first and then palmered the hackle over it. Another style is where I palmered the hackle from the eye back to the hook bend and then tied the leg over the hackle.

My thinking on the method where the hackle went first and the rubber went over it was to make it looke like some kind of worm that has a lot of legs.

The hackle palmered over the body, I'm not really sure what that is supposed to be. Just something that looks like it may be tasty to a fish.

Again guys and gals, I wasn't trying to be coy. If these things work I'll let you all know and I hope it gives you all some ideas for a fly that is VERY easy to tie and I hope you all tie a bunch of them and catch a bunch of fish on the "hairy weenie".

Jeff

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Very sharp!

Jeff,

A fishy looking fly. How does that tail hold up to brim?

mAngler,

I'm impressed. A very perceptive identification of the "mystery material." You are a veritable Sherlock Holmes.

8T

Jeff -

If they don't catch fish, you might want to work on "pretty."

If they do catch fish, why bother ??

John
    The fish are always right.

If my fishing buddy asks me, "What fly are you using?" ...I don't know if I can answer with a straight face! I can hear his response now..."A...WHAT??"
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    Jeff,

A fishy looking fly. How does that tail hold up to brim?

8T
    8T,
    I'm not sure yet. I hope to find out this evening. My initial "stress tests" of the material show it can stretch out to about 5X or better of it's original size with no issues. I pulled one to see how far it would stretch before it broke and I got it to about 10X it's original length and I started wondering how much it would hurt when it snapped back on my fingers so I didn't press it any more.

I do wonder how it will hold up to their sandpaper like teeth. Given that a single kush ball has enough material for a near lifetime supply and they take about 3 minutes to tie, even if it only lasts for a dozen fish, I don't think I would run out of materials and no big loss if they tear up.

As for the name, I thought you guys would like that. I thought it kind of looked like saussage links, thus the name "Hairy Weenie".

If we don't get another serious thunderstorm tonight, I'll hit the pond with them and see if the bluegill like them as much as I do.

Jeff

Thanks, I've been wondering how to use that stuff...it seems to have such an intrinsic motion it ought to be good.

What size hooks do you like?

dirty worm - just lash a strand to a hook. it's a killa.

10. Default

Well, there goes another sekret "fly tying" material You can get the balls at dollar stores and there is no need for niceties so just thread a hook through it and fish. Forget gills, they are deadly for trout.

+ Reply to Thread