+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tube flies?

Blog Entries

Default Tube flies?

So I was wondering about tube flies.

How do they work exactly? What're the pros and cons to them? Compared to traditional flies tied to hooks, what's the point of them?

They look fun. Are they to save on hooks? Materials? I'm confused.

Much thanks,
    Shane

Shane tube flies can be as small or as large as one wants depending on the situation you wish to fish. I have used them for bluegills bass pike and musky. A popular Nordic and Russian salmon fly. The hook is not part of the fly. The secret is to use a hook keeper to hold the hook snugly but loose enough to disengage from the keeper when the fish is hooked. You tie the fly on the tube add a hook keeper to the rear to hold the hook or leave it swing free. When the fish strkes the hook will come loose and the fly will slide up the tippit out of harms way. Depending on regulations you can use single,double or treble hooks. I have seen one style with a fly tied on the hook as well as the tube. Very large flies with less weight.
    I use hollow Q tips from our medicine cabinet. I went to a bicycle shop to find the bike spoke that was the correct dia that the tube would fit on. Using the nut end I cut it to length to hold the tube. I slide on the tube tighten the nut to hold the tube from turning and tie the fly. Another type to chek out is a "Snake Fly" Go to Google and type in Tube Flies and Snake Flies. BILL

Default Some Pros

Fly slides away...lasts longer

Smaller hook...easier on fish....holds better due to less leverage advantage for the fish...I would consider this maybe the most important

Folks that use them report more hookups

Pretty much talking steelhead and Salmon......

Blog Entries

Sounds like I want to get into tube flies. I ruin a lot of flies with my pliars taking them out, lost alot due to trees too haha.

I understand the tubes, almost. But what do you use for the hook keeper?

Another question for tube flies is for flies like a wooly bugger, do you tie the marabou on normally, or do you need to tie it evenly around the tube? I guess the tube wouldn't show after wrapping the chenille.....

Thanks a bunches,
    Shane

I think the way you tie the tail won't matter, but maybe you can tie the tail on the hook to get better motion and less tangles?

Hate to pop your bubble, there Shane, but believe me.............. "TRESS love tube flies every BIT as much as they do conventional style flies!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    "TRESS love tube flies every BIT as much as they do conventional style flies!
    Dont get it-------BILL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by William Fitzgerald View Post
    Dont get it-------BILL
    "Trees"

Well, I'm sure they do Paul. But I'm trying to give myself an excuse to have to buy more equipment. And tube flies look fun

Shane

P.S. Still need info on he hook keeper thingies.

Smile

When looking for hook keepers you first have to start with the dia of the tube you intend to use,it should have a snug fit on the rear of the tube. For the Q tips that I use I found a intravenous feeding tube that is used in a hospital fits. Just have to know a nurse because they throw them away. Craft stores and fish tank store tubing sometimes have the correct dia. Model air plane hobby stores also have tubes,plastic aluminum and brass.

With tubes you can have twenty or so flies in a box and one hook. Stretching it a bit,lets say twenty flies in one box hooks in another. Make great steamer flies. BILL

Sorry on TREES just not my day!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by William Fitzgerald; 06-18-2008 at 01:31 AM.

Tube flies are great, I tie them for bass, trout, panfish and saltwater, they are real money savers hehehe well at least thats what I told my wife when I bought the tube vise hehehe but seriously speaking you don't ruin your flies when unhooking or playing the fish

this one is a killer for bass
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Carpcrazy; 06-18-2008 at 03:50 AM.

+ Reply to Thread