+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saddle Butt

Default Saddle Butt

Well now what?
    The wife, myself and friends will be doing a horse pack in trip next month into the eastern sierra (see my other post Planning Eastern Sierra Pack Trip). Now this is where we need help. I hope some of you know horse's. We did a 1 hour trip yesterday and man o man my butt hurts Heres the question, any good ideas on how to reduce the effects? We are going to go riding once a week and try to get in shape somewhat. So lets hear it from you horse people or anyone that has had the same issue themselfs
    After the trip I will hopefully have some great photos to share. The fishing is supposed to the best.

Almost hate to suggest it ... BUT ... I've heard, pantyhose stop the chaffing.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Ride a lot before you go...and a thigh master! Actually... that's no joke. Increasing the strengh of the muscle you use to grip the horse, helps a lot. You just don't sit on a horse...you ride it, by gripping it with your knees and taking pressure off you back side.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Make sure the stirrups are the correct length for you...helps the butt a little but really saves the knees.
    Saddles that fit are a joy but as mentioned the best way to harden in is obviously to ride a lot.

Cool Feet count too

How you hold your feet makes a big difference at the end of the day. It is heels down (as your foot is in the stirrup) and toes pointed in. If you try that sitting in your chair you will see that it affects the inner thigh, see post above.

First off, YOU DO NOT GRIP A HORSE WITH YOUR KNEES UNLESS YOU WANT THE HORSE TO RUN!!!

You can purchase saddle pads (on top of the saddle) that may help and it would help you if you got a saddle that fits you too. Other than that the best you can hope for is that your practice rides will take away the worst of it.

About twenty years ago or so i went on a pack trip with some friends and my Mom and Dad. It was a 6 hour ride in and none of them had been on a horse in numerous years. They were all a little sore the next day but nothing terrible. The skeeters were the only bad part of the trip and they were doable too.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by crook33 View Post
    First off, YOU DO NOT GRIP A HORSE WITH YOUR KNEES UNLESS YOU WANT THE HORSE TO RUN!!!

Rich
    Gotta agree with that ..it makes me weary and sore just to think about it....you...go with the flow...it's a rhythm thing....guess that makes it a little like fly casting

You will gain a whole new admiration for the 'cowboys' as they gallop UP and DOWN those hills in the old movies. Wait until you try hills. *hint,,, coming down can be very exciting!! I knew a girl who wore a 'body-suit' once, just once.
    Oh, be careful shooting guns from the saddle, heard of a guy who shot his horses head off once, just once. (archery is a safer method, ask the Indians or Deanna)

Default Great Advice

Betty- Pantyhose? Ha hahahaha It's a Pack Trip not last years movie.. If they laugh at me when I ask, you owe me lunch or at least a nice fly.......
    Mato- I can work with that.
    Dusksterman- Stirrups, I was thinking they had to be used for something other then my boots. I'll ask the guide how they can help us..
    Crook- Running horses NOT GOOD! Skeeters, yea they can be a problem. Had a trip at June Lake once and was attacked as soon as we openned the the truck door.
    J Castwell- ye ha yes but no guns this time, maybe shoot some s to some nice trout..
    Of course my next tread is going to be, What kind of flys and assorted equipment will all of you advise. Just remember I don't know the lingo yet on all this flyfishing stuff. I still haven't caught a fish on a fly yet,BIG time rookie.

You didn't mention this concern but....some more words of advice....have your rods in strong tubes ...many of us have dented tubes from pack horses/mules/jackasses gone wild.

Re: stirrupps...be sure your boots will fit in them....despite what you say I don't think you want to ride without stirrups

+ Reply to Thread