+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hexegenia (pics)

Default Hexegenia (pics)

On my way into work earlier in the week I noticed two large mayflies who'd been spent, laying on the asphalt. I stopped and carried them into work so I could take them home and inspect them. At first I thought that they may have been either a brown or a green drake (the big Eastern ones you hear about) but after consulting with some of the local guys on another forum, the consensus seems the be that they are indeed Hexegenia limbata. I waited a few days to take these pictures and the bodies are kind of shriveled and dry, but you can still see how big these things are. This was a real treat for me b/c I've never seen a mayfly this big. I'll bet if you pitted a hex and a salmonfly in a cage match you'd have a good fight on your hands. (insert sarcastic smilie b/c I can only attach 4 images.....)
    Anyway, hope you enjoy the pictures and maybe they'll help you tie up some good imitations. These were about 1.5 inches long before they shriveled. You can click on any picture to see the full album.

Leave No Trace

I would love to do a better job mimicking those wings and tails on my ties. Thanks for the pics.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

No need to mimic these wings and tails too exact. You won't fish this fly untill late at night. A very good imitation is a Roberts Drake in size 6 or 4 on a Mustad 9672 hook.

You can always tell the guys fishing the hex hatch by the smell of swamp muck and skeeter dope on a person with bloodshot eyes and the look of not sleeping for several nights in a row.

Gotta love it!!!!!!!!

fishbum

+ Reply to Thread