+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baja Mexico?

Default Baja Mexico?

I'm going to the Baja in early August. I have no idea what to expect. I will be between Rosarito Beach and Ensenada at La Fonda. I have an 8wt(is that heavy enough?). I'm bringing that and a large arbor. Other than that I'm lost. If anyone has any tips about shore fishing the area I would appreciate any insight patterns etc. I think there are surfperch around but I'm not sure. I've never fished warmwater before..so I'm rather clueless...
    Thanks,
    Janus
    Last edited by Janus; 06-12-2008 at 08:28 PM.

I have never been there but I believe there is outstanding permit fishing inshore

Where in Baja are you going - there are hundreds of miles of coastline.

No permit in baja.

La fonda in between Rosarito Beach and Ensenada, not too far south of Tijuana.

Oops, I didn't read your first post well on the location. Anyway...

An 8wt is fine. It should be matched with some time of sinking line or line system. Shooting head systems are great, also integrated lines like Scientific Anglers Streamer Express, Teeny T or TS series, Orvis Depth Charge or similar lines from Airflo, Rio, Cortland, etc. A typical leader is 4 -10 feet of straight 8 to 12lb test mono looped to flyline.

Surf perch will be most common species in surf followed by Halibut and Corbina.

Flies: Clouser Minnows 2 to 3 inches long, Orange Roughy, mole or sand crab patters, mini-puffs, small streamers, bonefish patterns with orange color in them.

The following references will help you

www.flyfisherman.com/northwest/khsandybeach/
    www.danblanton.com/hanart.html
    www.fliflicker.com

I also suggest Ken Hanley's books "Fly Fishing Afoot in the Surfzone" and "Fly Fishing the Pacific Inshore: Strategies for Estuaries, Bays, and Beaches"

Brian,
    Tell you what....I'll buy you a whole new line system (backing, line, leaders, tippet and even connectors if you're into that) if you happen to have an extra large suitcase that you wouldn't mind paying an overweight fee on
    I am so jealous dude. Hope you guys have an awesome time!
    Leave No Trace

Thanks Tailingloop and thanks Ryan. My wifes best friend is getting married there and she is the maid of honor so she said "I'm going to be really busy with wedding stuff so you can just find things to do"?!?!?!.......um OK. Kids are staying here with their Grandma. The bride wants me to arrange something for anyone that wants to go fishing but charters won't work for everyone so, I figured I'd just find some shoreline and see who wants to go...have a feeling I'll be out there by myself...(hands raise above head in triumph)

Default Baja

Don't be surprized to get hit by believe it or not a Bonefish. I got one once. But I was using a blood worm in the surf and I was very happy to have my 20lb Yellowtail rig when he hit. WOW Yes I said Bonefish

+ Reply to Thread