+ Reply to Thread

Thread: any help appreciated

Default any help appreciated

hello everybody...I have never posted in this section but now is the time....I know many of you are probably experts concerning bamboo rods and the making of them...I am not BUT I met a young guy at the water and he sells bamboo and has 7 different kinds...he also said he builds things out of bamboo for resale...he says he can surely make a rod but doesnt know the details...is there a market for bamboo and where should he turn for info concerning building his 1st rod...he says he works bamboo for a living so I told him I would ask the right people{you}...also what is a ball park price for a mid level bamboo rod? thanks for any answers...rod buiding isnt my strong suit

As nice as this guy is to offer to build a rod for you if he has never done so before he most likely as not does not have the equipment to build a good rod. The art of building bamboo rods from scratch is something learned over time before one sales his rods. You can find a good builder all over the US, but you will pay from $800.00 to sky is the limit depending on what you want. That is how I would get a bamboo.

I am not interested in bamboo myself but just curious as to where one would get their bamboo...is it like picking out good lumber so to speak? I guess he will be on his own as far as his rod building quest

bonefishwhisperer -

I personally can not help you and your friend on this subject. Except to tell you that there is a LOT of information in the FAOL data bank on the subject, and a number of previous threads that give great insight into the whole process of bamboo rod building.

I just went back to the main page. Under the Fly of the Week, entered "bamboo rod builing" in the Search function, hit enter and got 3478 matches !!! Way too much to deal with, but it is a place to start.

My suggestion would be that you get yourself out of the middle ?? Introduce your friend to FAOL, tell him about the search function and the Bulletin Board, and tell him to have at it. There is one fairly recent thread that I recall that would be a great starting place. After I post this reply, I'll see if I can find it, and update this reply with the additional information.

John

P.S. From reading most of the Rod Building Forum threads for the past six months, I know there are links or references to other websites that deal extensively with bamboo rod building which would also be of interest to your friend, IF he really is interested ??

Update -

bonefishwhisperer -

That was way too easy !! On this Forum, go to a thread started by Gnu Bee Flyer on 4-6-08 titled "Bamboo rod building DVD." Reply #5 has a link to a DVD which is an EXCELLENT starting point for your friend. ( Depending on how you are set up to review this Forum, you may have to change the time span that comes up for review. At the bottom the first page, there is an option for how far back you want to go. At least 75 days to reach back to Gnu Bee's thread. )
    Last edited by JohnScott; 06-11-2008 at 04:31 AM.
    The fish are always right.

Ask the cane builders on Thursday evenings in our chat room, hosted by the world renown Ron Kusse.

thanks guys...I threw the idea to him that he needs to join the forum and start with a couple rod builing classes...if he is good like he says then he will utilize the info and who knows...if he pursues it I will keep you posted...thanks again

+ Reply to Thread