+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gulf Shores Alabama

Default Gulf Shores Alabama

Headed down to Gulf Shores next week and would like any information on where a guy could do some wade fishing. I've been there before but I wasn't into fly fishing then. I was thinking perhaps around the Fort Morgan area? I'm not particular about the species of fish, just interested in having a good time out on the water. There must be some areas around the bay / backwaters there that are wadable? Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by FlyFlopper; 06-11-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Change from fort walton to fort morgan
    Brook trout always remind me that there must be a higher power.

Dale

Where are you staying and do you want to limit your fishing to the Alabama side or do you also want to try Fla? You will need a lic for each. Early morning is good for Ladyfish, Spanish, Pomps, and Bluefish on the beach. Blind cast or look for feeding activity, you'll know it when you see it. If you catch them busting bait, cast to the edge, strip as fast as you can and hang on. Watch behind you for walkers, they will stand right behind you. The last time I fished the beach I glanced over my shoulder and there was a Dad and his two little girls not 20 feet behind me as I whizzed clousers over their head. At little lagoon pass on an outgoing tide can be very good just at daybreak and I've heard that trout fishing is good in little lagoon if you can find a place to wade. Florida point, not actually in Florida but on the Florida side of Perdido pass used to be good on a moving tide but the Corp of Engineers has changed the jetties around and I'm sure that has affected it. If you want to try Fl, go to Gulf Shores National Park, known locally as Johnsons Beach or sometimes Big Lagoon, and wade the grass flats on the inshore side for trout and redfish. Try the Pensacola Fishing Forum for more info.

Duncan

Default Alabama fishing

I don't know about GA and AL, but if you were from Louisiana, you'd best drive the 5 miles or so over to Florida to fish.

Why, 'cuz 'bama and LA are still fighting the "game and fish wars"... which means that LA and AL charge the heck out of fishers from the other state to cast into their respective waters.

However, Florida is "reasonable" with their fees to all out of staters... Thanks to the folks in Tallahassee!

Its been awhile since I was there, but there was some excellent wade fishing in the grassy flats on the Florida side of Perdido pass, just over the bridge. I didn't know about changes in in the jetties??

Bowfin47
    Last edited by bowfin47; 06-10-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks guys. We are staying at the Gulf Shores Plantation Resort. I remember Perdido pass from my prior visits. Not a bad drive from where we will be. I will probably try the beaches near us first. But, if I get restless I'll probably ride over to Perdido Pass and check it out. Thanks again.
    Brook trout always remind me that there must be a higher power.

Dale

+ Reply to Thread