+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactics that build confidence?

Default Tactics that build confidence?

I have been using strike indicators for a number of years. Always effective and always fun. But I wonder, does using strike indicators on streams, rivers, and lakes every time I fish just using a crutch that I never needed? I just wonder if anyone else feels guilty for using tactics that make catching fish too easy?

It certainly can become a crutch...especially if it keeps you from exploring other tactics. You miss a lot of fish that way.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

I'm trying to get away from depending on indicators. It's not uncommon to find myself without one when I need it.

I use an intermediate line sometimes when fishing lakes and floaters without an indicator, but when the going gets tough, I grab a bobber.

Smile

In small streams or pocket water indicators will cause you to miss or scare fish. For bigger waters indicators help you fish farther away and have longer drifts even if your indicator is a dry fly w/ a nymph dropper

Blog Entries

Smile Strike Indicators

loufly,

I understand what you are going through. Last year at the FFF Conclave in Montana I took some casting lessons just to get me back in tune with casting the dry fly, since I do so much nymph fishing.

However, I do not feel guilty about using a strike indicator while nymphing or fishing Chronnies out on the lake. It is a very good way to fish and the results are usually rewarding. When the fish hit the surface bugs, then I switch to my dry fly rod, but otherwise I will be either nymphing or chucking streamers and enjoying it.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Quote Originally Posted by loufly View Post
    ...I just wonder if anyone else feels guilty for using tactics that make catching fish too easy?...
    Lou -

Sometimes catching fish is easy, but I don't recall very many times when it was TOO easy ?!

I guess if it got so easy that I felt guilty, I would change tactics or go somewhere else.

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by loufly View Post
    I have been using strike indicators for a number of years. Always effective and always fun. But I wonder, does using strike indicators on streams, rivers, and lakes every time I fish just using a crutch that I never needed? I just wonder if anyone else feels guilty for using tactics that make catching fish too easy?
    Short answer: Nope

Long answer: When all my friends were hunting with 7 mm Mag bean field rifles with superior optic and shooting sub MOA groups, I hunted with a handgun. I also threw splinters or hunted with a bow. Many of us restrict our techniques to make things more challenging and there is a certain amount of satisfaction that can come from doing things the hard way. As long as you don't expect others to only do it your way and you are doing it for your own satisfaction - cool. It's all about "hobby" and you enjoyment of it. Do it any way that makes you happy.

loufly,

Early on in my second attempt at fly fishing I used a tiny foam bobber, which I suppose amounts to the same thing as a "strike indicator". Although I did catch a few fish, before long I abandoned the little bobber due to the complications it caused when casting -- I just didn't like that double-tug sensation on my back casts. A personal preference: some people, it doesn't bother them at all; me, it did.

My third, and current, try at fly fishing has lasted for a little over three years. During that time I haven't used a strike indicator even once. I think it's because I came to trust fly tackle. See, I grew up fishing for bass with spinning tackle, using plastic worms with a slow retrieve where I intently watched the line for that little tick of motion that indicated a pickup?

Well, for me fly fishing (especially with nymphs) is just like bass fishing with plastic worms and spinning tackle. Only fly fishing is 900 times better due to the fantastic "see-ability" of the pickups. If my nymph hasn't yet settled to a depth that pulls the entire leader underwater, then when a fish hits I'm going to see my leader (which is floating on surface tension) twitch sharply at the instant of pickup.

And if the leader has been pulled underwater by the weight of the nymph by the time a fish hits, then I'll see the floating line exhibit a tell-tale twitch. When only the floating line twitches it's not as dramatic or sharp as when a floating leader twitches, but it's loud enough that almost always I notice it.

In other words, the entire traditional system of fly fishing provides me with what I like most --an ultra-sensitive linear strike indicator. Once my nymph hits the water my leader and my floating line speak to me. They tell me about twigs, grass and algae the fly has encountered. The leader and floating line, they talk in a louder, clearer voice than any other system I've ever used.

Did I feel guilty, earlier, when using a foam ball strike indicator? No. As a fisherman, am I now absolved of guilt because I no longer use a strike indicator device? No. Still, I do feel guilty sometimes during those days when the action is so hot that Nymph fishing = Stealing.

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

My guilt comes from the fact that I like using them. It may be a dry fly with a dropper off of it, but strike indicator all the same. One interesting thing I have noticed at my favorite place(a small lake) is that more and more fisherman are using indicators. More fisherman are anchoring up and fishing a likely spot with more care. Prior to that the majority would kick around the lake trolling a leech around behind them with some success. I have always picked the place apart one section at a time using my indicator as my guide. I won't say that I am more successful, but I will say that I am more consistent. I have gotten a lot of confidence from fishing this way.

+ Reply to Thread