+ Reply to Thread

Thread: crab flys

Default crab flys

here are some of the versions I am currently using for permit/bones

Those look good enough to steam and eat! I suppose if you made a blue crab variant, you could go for stripers in the Chesapeake here!
    The claws are my favorite feature.

I will have blue claws tomorrow...out of hooks and I need a blue sharpie...still working on figuring out how to get the back flippers closer to the real thing...these have worked well for me so far on permit but I always need improvement

Default crabs

if you tied those with one claw bigger than the other, they may look like fiddler crabs and work for reds in the marshes

just a thought

Jordan

jcntheriver Guest

Wink here`s one for the blueclaws

Quote Originally Posted by jcntheriver View Post
    JC - I like the pattern and am getting ready to tie some up, but I need to seek clarification (maybe you or someone else would have the answer).

1. What about weight? The Velcro Crab pattern in the link appears to unweighted. I notice that the flies the bonefishwhishperer had at the beginning of this post have a dumbell at the hook eye. Should the VC be weighted? Perhaps wrap some lead around the hook shank before closing the fly? Perhaps a small dumbell at the hook eye -- would the fly then list to starboard?

2. The pattern calls for red rabbit for the head -- ?!? -- I don't see it. Am I missing something.

---------------

For the bonefishwhisperer:

I like your patterns too, and am trying to tie a few of them as well.

Claws are two strands of chenille, knotted and burned on the ends?

Body - antron or some other synthetic fiber tied in in clumps like a bowtie?

--------------

I'm spending 10 days out on the NC Outer Banks fishing Pamlico and Albemarle sounds before the end of this month. I have a box of clousers and a couple of other minnow patterns and shrimp patterns.

Then, in the first week of July, I'll be spending several days in the FL Keys -- down around MP 25 or so. So, I could use to add some crab patterns and would appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Thanks
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

flys are EP fiber and some are yarn...the claws are chenelle and knotted with the ends superglued and cut with scissors when tacky and colored with a sharpie when dry...you are fishing where I cut my teeth...I am originally from the Outer Banks and have waded and fished the sound many times..especially just past Avon before Buxton...for now I am in Miami doing the flats guiding and moving into sweetwater at the moment for baby tarpon/peacock bass...good luck on your quest...for what its worth a floating crab it only good for tarpon around here..mainly because crabs dont float but dig instead...mine are heavily weighted to snag in the grass on purpose so the fish will key in on the moving grass and dig it out

Thanks - I figured weight was necessary and I figured that the crab should generally sit still, and if it moves at all, it should do so sideways -- but better if it's still and on the bottom. I'll try to work the grass thing too.

Thanks again!
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

I have tyed crabs before that are sideways like in nature...the problem I had was the legs dont work properly on the leading side...in my appoach the presentation is in the lacement of the cast and the fall rate of the crab to the bottom...it cant be too lite or its a bust and too heavy will scare them besides falling too fast

+ Reply to Thread