+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LF's request - Family Tyes

Default LF's request - Family Tyes

LF asked for ideas that will help spur the industry and growth in fly fishing. Not to plug a competitors magazine, but the info on Family Tyes in the last Fly Fisherman magazine sure seems interesting, perhaps even promising. Anyone have any experience with the program?

Some of the TU chapters in my area participate in a program called Trout In the Classroom. It's mostly a biology project, but I'm sure some flyfishers are created as a result too. The chapters supply elementary and middle school classes with trout eggs and aquariums with chillers in the fall, and then come by every so often to check on things and teach some lessons on stream ecology. After watching the eggs mature to fry and so forth, the program culminates in a trip to a local river in the spring when the fish are released by the students.

3. Default

I've had some limited interaction with the Family Ties organization and it's nothing but good. Make that GREAT. Definitely something to get behind......

I've heard some good things, but no personal experience.

Trout in the Classroom has good reviews, locally.

In a state like Maine, where the outdoors is, or at least, has been, part of the predominant daily culture, and we've been piloting fly fishing integration into schools, one new effort to spread the word is to volunteer to address a session of the annual conference of Phys Ed, Health, and Recreation teachers to give free access to the techniques and methods as part of their continuing staff development and evolving direction toward teaching lifelong skills in class.

Kat

Family Tyes originated here in the Pittsurgh area. I have some interaction with them through my TU chapter and at various shows in the area. They are a great organization that focuses on introducing the next generation to fly fishing, tying and conservation. Certainly a worthy goal that most of us here at FAOL could get behind. If you would like to find out more about them or support them, their web site is [url=http://www.familytyes.com/:ad738]http://www.familytyes.com/[/url:ad738]

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

I would love to see fly fishing class at local schools, as an elective class or an after school class.
    I am doing a project on advanced fly fishing it is a good part of my grade, and it is a lot of fun expessing fly fishing in school.

------------------
    trout, bass, sea bass i dont care its fishing. <><

[This message has been edited by sculpin29 (edited 29 September 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread