+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying hooks online

Default Buying hooks online

To set the stage, I have always tied Atlantic Salmon flies so I am used to really big hooks of say 2 manufacturers, Partridge and Mustad. Well, last year, I started to venture into tying some trout flies and well as you can imagine, my hook selection is not real plentiful so I have to order them. There are a few patterns that I pick up off places like FAOL that use specific hooks, and to quantify, if I can use another hook that I already have I do so for cost reasons. There are some patterns however that use a hook that I want to order and with hook sizings being so different, how do I know which one to order without actually seeing them (a picture that is blown up so the thing is 3 inches long when in reality it is a # 18 hook does not help much).

My latest quest is for Daiichi 1130 hooks, but, I don't know if I should order 12,14 or 16. Does anyone have this problem, and is there any place that has them lying on graph paper or beside a ruler for sizes? I could order all 3 sizes that I might use evetually, but that would just add to the pile of hooks.

Thanks,

Dwight

For smaller hook like that I only buy every second size, I don't see the need to have a flybox full one fly in 4 or 5 different sizes. If the fish are being that picky its best if I were doing something else.

If your throwing around sizes 12, 14 & 16 just buy the 14.

Hi Dwight:
    You most likely know of WW Doak as they are close by you.
    Their hooks, which are under fly tying on their site, are laid out in 1/4" graph paper, none of the 1130s though, but ordering the size 14 would be a good place to start.

Dan

Yes, I should have included the WW Doak reference (they are great guys and I buy local most of the time), I would say that I have purchased probably 85% of my fly tying stuff there (not to mention rod, reel, spool and other stuff), and I do like the hooks on graph paper, kindof puts it into perspective. Maybe I will shoot for the #14 in the 1130.

Thanks,
    Dwight
    Last edited by DBenner; 06-02-2008 at 07:07 PM.

I started tying not that long ago and aquiring hooks. I found that I needed different styles but not in every size. It's best to pick some patterns that you will enjoy fishing and start there instead of buying hooks to buy hooks. In other words one of the staples that I throw are bead head buggers. I have to have some streamer hooks. Then scud patterns are very popular and I needed some scud hooks. I like the idea of not trying to buy every size. I also just don't tie anything smaller than about a 16 and just a few of them. If I had to pick two sizes to start with it would be 10s and 14s. 8s to 14s cover 98% of everything that I throw.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I keep about 10 styles of hooks in 3 sizes each, except for streamer hooks. I keep 5 sizes of them because I use them for more different types of flies than the others. I can tie any fly that I need with these selections. I use Cabelas hooks, because they are only around $7.00 per 100, and they are as good as it gets. You don't need every size and style out there. Many flies can be tied on different hooks. Example: Almost all nympths can be tied on curved nympth hooks. Stimulators are tied on curved hooks. So just use curved hooks for both and eliminate the extra stock. Streamers, crawfish, shrimp and hoppers can all be tied on the same hooks.

Figure out which styles and sizes you'll be using the most of, and how many can be used for more than one type of fly, and go from there. You seldom need more than 3 sizes of each style.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 06-03-2008 at 09:59 AM.

My Janns Netcraft cat. has a couple of charts showing sizes and shapes on some of the popular brands..don't know if they sponsor the site so sorry if it is wrong to mention them.

Gigmaster,

You state:

"I use Cabelas hooks, because they are only around $7.00 per 100, and they are as good as it gets."

I also try to only purchase my hooks by the 100 count and was interested in your statement. I checked Cabella's and found none that could be purchased for $7.00 per hundred. I did fine some of their Eagle Claw brand that could. Am I missing something here?
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

Smile

Click on the below link for a photo of the different sizes of Daiichi 1130 Wide Gape Scud Hooks complements of JS Fly Fishing
    1130 Wide Gape Scud Hook
    by: Daiichi
    SKU: HK-051130-0000
    Product Overview:
    Continuous bend, down eye, 1X short shank, 1X fine wire, forged; Uses: scud, shrimp, grubs, pupae, nymphs; Sizes 10 - 16 in packs of 25 hooks, or Multi?Pack of 10 hooks in each of 4 popular sizes in a re?usable 4?compartment hook box.

Larry ---sagefisher---

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/b...6&d=1212529749
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Does anyone have this problem, and is there any place that has them lying on graph paper or beside a ruler for sizes?
    This is going off topic a bit, I know exactly what you are saying and this concerns me too. Once I had so many little packets of hooks from different people that I decided to put all of them in a compartment box with say all fine standard 14's together, all 2x 14's together and so on. The difference between manufacturers was immediately obvious and very frustrating. I am still trying to sort out the mess I inadvertently created for myself. I can tie 12 perfect little flies and line them up, and they look like different sizes.

The only solution I know of is to stick to one manufacturer or the variation seems inevitable. If anyone knows any way to make a comparison I would like to know it too.

+ Reply to Thread