+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I have a new fishing partner!

nighthawk Guest

Talking I have a new fishing partner!

Pennsylvania runs two fish for free days every year. On those days anyone, resident or not, can fish for free in the commonwealth. Well, Amy decided she would go fishing with me on the first of these days last Saturday. Our son came along too. I figured I wouldn't do any fishing and just try to make the outing as enjoyable as possible for them.

Since these two were being reintroduced to a sport they gave up long ago I opted for some very hungry, prespawn blue gills and spinning gear with worms under a slip bobber. The fish did not disappoint! I lost count of haw many were caught by who. Gary even caught a nice little Yellow Perch. You should have seen the smiles! Unfortunately, in my haste, I forgot to pack my camera. Amy and I sneaked out for a few more hours the other night but the fish are now more interested in spawning than eating.

Well, today I am just finishing up waxing the car and got out one of my 5 wt rods for a little practice casting. Amy come out to see if I am ready to go shopping yet and I had her watch me cast. Now, I am not a great flinger of the fly but my fly generally goes where intended. I tell you folks in no time she was laying out nice 40+ foot cast right where she wanted them. Smiling like the butcher's dog the whole time too!

Amy had me buy her fishing license with trout stamp for her Birthday. An early Birthday gift as her birthday is next Saturday. I am the one that got a great gift in having her as a fishing partner. She has also stated that we will go to next years Pa Fish-In so she can meet those folks and see how they fly fish!

Special note to Betty Hiner. Amy commandeered my hat! Even pinned her license on it to lay claim to it!

I am a very happy boy!!!

Eric -

Sounds to me like you are the one that got the early birthday present.

Way to go, all three of you !!

John
    The fish are always right.

Eric.

Dream really do come true, but to be sure - pinch yourself.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

sounds like you need a secound hat, Eric.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Eric,
    Sounds like your dream came true, I can really understand how you feel. Hang onto that feeling and keep it in your pocket for when shes not with you! Tell Gary WE are all excited for him. Know I have a question how long before we get to hear from Amy on the BB? See ya soon?
    Dave
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Thumbs up Nice

Happy for you. My bride enjoys it occasionally but isn't physically able to really wade much and doesn't like boats. Took her to a public "trophy" stream once and I hooked about a 20" bow soon after started and it scared the crap out of her..lol.. What scared her even more was when she caught a stream born dink. It wiggled like crazy trying to shake the fly and she said "it's hurting it!" so on and so forth...hilarious. I told her to join the "Fishing Hurts" campaign along with PETA. She didn't think it was funny . When she realized it wasn't hurt, she wanted to do it again Sorry for the hijack. Congrats!

To say that we are jealous would be an understatement of all time.

Congratulations though, because you are the one the got the greater gift.

My wife may be interested in coming along, even if not to fish, if we did not have small kids. Maybe in 10 or 15 years that will be possible for us.
    Tim

Have plenty of hats on hand!!

Thrilled that you have a new partner! Go get them trouts!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

SUPER NEWS, Eric, Congrats!!
    You've not only gotten yourself a great, new, fishing partner but NOW, every time "you think you need a new rod, reel, line, etc." it will always be brought home, "for AMY to try out and see if SHE likes it, or, not"!?!
    Don't worry, either, if she DOES like, what you bring home......... I was once in that same boat, until I used the old........... "Yeah, it IS a real beauty, glad you like it, and I sure WISH I HAD ONE LIKE IT, TOO!" Bam! "two new rods, for the argument of one"!!
    Same goes for reels of course.

However, Eric...........DON'T TRY THIS, with ANYTHING that's "sized" like new waders, etc. Handing your bride a pair of X-tra large waders and telling her "Here! I thought you might like these!", is a sure way to die very young and veryyyyy slowly. (NOT, that I WOULD DO THIS, mind you, but I've heard about it happening to others).
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

10. Default I have a new fishing partner!

That's a dream come true. I've got my kids loving fishing, but I would give almost anything to have the spouse come along and actually want to go. Congrats to you and happy birthday...

+ Reply to Thread