+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Fox Sqirrel Nymph?

Question Red Fox Sqirrel Nymph?

I've wanted to tie up one of Whitlock's Red Fox Squirrel Nymphs for a while now, but I am a little puzzled how to get the proper materials.

FeatherCraft sells a custom dubbing for a Red Fox Squirrel Nymph because they say that "You will never get enough of the orange-fur off a fox squirrel belly skin." But this looks like it would just be the dubbing for the body. What would you use, then, for the tail and thorax? I'm trying to figure out how to do this with out ordering from multiple places. If I got a Red Fox Squirrel skin instead, would I also need some sort of antron dubbing? And where would I get the skin?

I'm still new at tying, so about all I have on hand for this pattern would be the hooks, thread, and maybe the ribbing. Oh, and I guess I do have a hen saddle for the hackle too.

What if I tied a Red Fox Squirrel Nymph style of fly with hare's ear material? I wouldn't want to offend my hero Dave Whitlock.
    Tim

check out the whitlock dubbing in your feathercraft catalog, it lists the correct dubbing for both the thorax and the abdomen. beyond that, you will need a little fox squirrel skin for the tail , and a fine gold wire ribbing. all available from feather craft. dont work for them or anything, just have purchased the materials for the fox squirrel nymph from them a number of times. i tie a bead head and leave off the soft hackle. it's my go to pattern

Thanks, now I see that. So are the thorax and abdomen dubbing ready to use as is, or do I still need some antron dubbing to mix in like I saw in the recipie? Looks like they are supposed to be ready as is. Also, is this the Tanned Fox Squirrel Hide that I need for the tail? This looks like it will be easier to get than I thought.

What sizes do you tie them in?
    Tim

Blog Entries

Also look at fly tying furs on the sponsor's page. Good stuff-good prices.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Normand Guest

why not buy from the man himself??? rest assured youll get the right stuff

http://www.davewhitlock.com/images/shopcart/kit3.jpg

Wink Fox Squirrel hide

Tlerm,

Whitlock's Fox Squirrel nymph is tied using a pinch of fur from the back of a fox squirrel for the tail. This tail clump is not blended but rather is tied directly on the hook.

The orange dubbings, like that from Feathercraft, are fine for the abdomin of this nymph.

We use a much finer copper wire than that shown is your photo for the ribbing. We liked copper rather than gold for this ribbing wire.

A pinch or two of the same fur used for the tail is blended together for the thorax. There is no need to tie a wingcase on this nymph, as it always seemed to be more effective when tied "in the round".

PM me your address, and I'll drop ya' a section of a fox squirrel skin in the mail.

Bowfin47

It never ceases to amaze me the helpfulness and generosity of the people on FAOL. Thank you for your offer bowfin. I'll send you a PM next thing.

I think I've seen people refer to tying "in the round" before, but I hadn't figured out what that meant. I think I got it now, it must be without the wingcase?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tlerm View Post
    What if I tied a Red Fox Squirrel Nymph style of fly with hare's ear material? I wouldn't want to offend my hero Dave Whitlock.
    Then it would look darker than a FSN and resemble the original GRHE, which did not have a wingcase either. It would still be great fly and owe something to the Rosborough Casual Dress as well.
    I am not a big fan of Whitlock although he ties some nice flies because he firstly ensures that he gets credit for any of his innovations regardless of how insignificant (see the Electric Leech for example), so I wouldn't worry about offending him.
    I use a fox squirrel skin for the FSN and also use simply the fur from the back (underfur for the dubbing gathered with a dubbing rake) for a darker nymph which is about the same colour as a GRHE. I put a few wraps of lead under the thorax section.

It's not clear to me whether all of your questions have been answered.

The tanned Fox Squirrel hide in the link is indeed what you'll need for the nymph tail. The Dave Whitlock dubbing for the Red Fox Squirrel nymph (nymph and thorax) has the 50% mix of antron and squirrel dubbing called for in the recipe. Nothing to do except use it. It's the main reason I buy the Dave Whitlock dubbing.

Fly tying furs is a good place to shop.

Dave Whitlock, a fellow Okie, is definitely one my favorites.

Instead of a soft hackle collar try adding some rubber legs for an even better fly in my opinion.

Austin

+ Reply to Thread