+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first build...

Default My first build...

I have selected a Forecast 6'6" 4 piece rod for my first build. Now that I have the blank picked out, what else will I need to complete it?

I have a general idea that I will need guides, winding check, handle, reel seat for the rod and epoxy and thread to put it all together. Are there any other specialized tools I'll need? I can convert my fly turner into a rod turner no problem.

Can anyone point me in a direction of how many, how much and what brands to buy? I am looking to make this as inexpensive as possible as far as hardware goes until I figure out if this will be something I want to do again. For what I will be using the rod for it probably won't last more than 2 seasons before I break the tip anyway. Thanks for your help.

I posted a bit more in the short rod thread about the different kits available from H&H. I think it's a good idea to get a kit to start with ... everything in it you need ... no worry about getting part way in to the build, only to find out you need one more little thing !!! The build is fairly straight forward. Practice a few (or more!) times before finishing. A box, a book, some very sharp scissors, good lighting ... you're good to go!! Remember, this being your first build; it may not look like a high end finished rod when you finish (well, it might, but, it might not!), but it will be YOUR first rod, and you'll love it forever!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty pretty much hit it. Can't stress the need for good lighting enough! I'd add "a good clean out of the way area where it can dry in peace and quiet"!
    P.S. I caught 14 trout on mine Friday!!

I sold some "crap" laying around and ordered my kit. 6'6" 2 wt four piece. Hope everyone is up for helping me out when it gets here.

Before you start get a bottle of vinigar. Vinigar will clean up fresh epoxy and it's a lot safer.

Flyrodde -

I just started my first rod yesterday - a Hook & Hackle 7'6" for 3 wt two piece.

Before starting, I read a LOT on the solvent issue because I flat out did not want to work with acetone.

Vinegar was suggested by a lot of folks, but I ended up with alcohol in a 91% solution ( recommended by several different folks both from FAOL and a couple other websites ) from the pharmacy section of the local grocery store. $1.59 for enough to do a couple rods, at least.

So far, putting together the reel seat and gluing it to the blank, the alcohol has cleaned up everything easily and nicely - no fuss, no bother, and hardly any fumes, and the ones that are there are much less noxious than acetone. It has also worked well cleaning some adhesives ( from stickers and masking tape ) off the blank, and cleaning the blank after sanding it prior to gluing.

So far it has been easier in some regards and a bit more difficult than I expected on a couple things. I guess the real challenge comes after all the gluing is done and the work with the thread starts !!

John

I thought about starting a thread on my first build, but I know it ain't gonna be photogenic so I thought I would wait until I catch a bunch of nice fish in a beautiful place and post those photos instead.
    The fish are always right.

Denatured alcohol works also and if you make/buy an alcohol lamp to burn off the fuzzies you'll need it.
    John I'd like to clear up one statement you made. "Cleaning the blank after sanding". flyrodde, the sanding John is refering to is the area under the grip and reel seat only. Lay out the reel seat and cork grip and measure to determine how much of the Butt section should be sanded, a little masking tape at this point to protect the rest of the blank won't hurt. After roughing the area up with some 180 sand paper clean it with the alcohol to assure a good bond.
    Earlier in this thread I stated that I had just caught 14 trout on my 6' 6" 2 wt. Well today I caught 18 on my 9' Sage "Z Axis" that I completed Tuesday evening!! There is no way I could ever afford to buy a rod like that but by learning to build rods I now have one!
    Welcome to the addiction!!

My first fly rod build was a 6'6" 2 wt made on a Cabela's blank. It's pretty ugly, all black except for the cork. Black single foot guides, black carbon fiber looking reel seat, and black thread.

The action on it is really fast for my beginning casting skills. First I lined it with a 2wt double taper and it felt like I was casting with a stout stick. Next I lined it with a weight forward floating 3 wt, and that helped a little, but still very fast action. I did managed to catch 4 blue gills on it Thursday evening though.

My second fly rod build is going to be on a longer blank(7'6") and hopefully I'll find a moderate action. It'll probably be a 3wt since I already have a reel and line that will work on that.

Jack -

Right on with the clarification on sanding the blank.

Thanks.

John

Flyrodde -

Just finished my first rod this morning - waiting for the finish on the wraps to cure. Will likely go fishing with it tomorrow or the next day to see how it fishes.

A couple points to keep in mind. The Graphite Rod Building series ( go to Features on the Main Page and go to Rod Building on the Features page ) is a great reference for each step of the process. Before starting another step, I would reread the part of the series that applied to that step a couple times.

One article I read pointed out the value of elastic thread to hold the guides in place temporarily after you get them spaced and aligned properly and before you wrap them. I had never heard of it before, but found it at Joann Fabrics Store. Tie down the guides fairly tight with the thread well stretched and it holds them in place nicely, but allows you to move them around to get them aligned properly. ( I read about other ways to temporarily hold the guides, but none of them sounded as simple as the elastic thread, and after using it, its hard to believe any other technique would be as simple and effective. )

Another point I think is worth making is that the temperature REALLY affects how well your glue and wrapping finish mix and how easy they are to use ( assuming you are using two part mixes ). For the epoxy for the reel seat and gluing the reel seat to the blank, I used epoxy mixed in the basement where I was working. Very thick consistency, which may have worked better for that part of the process.

For the finish on the wraps, using two part one coat Flex Coat, I warmed the components before mixing them and got fairly thin finish material. Went on much easier than I had anticipated, but it did start to cool down before I finished all the wraps. You might look for a warmer part of the house ( garage, workshop, etc ) to do this step.

One other thing - most of the articles I read on rod building described one variety of stand or other to hold the rod while wrapping the guides. Anything from a cardboard box with slots and holes in it to stands made by various companies retailing for $XX. You can get by without a stand - at least I did. Hand held and hand wrapped the guides, ferrule and the tip top. Had to rewrap a couple guides to improve the appearance, but since I started out just wanting to get through the process with a lot emphasis on learning and the actual function of the rod and without much emphasis on appearance, it worked out well.

Had put building a rod off for a couple years, for a variety of reasons. Glad I finally got around to it. Will be building more rods in the future, and will likely invest in some of the things that will help me produce a better looking, if not better fishing, rod.

John

+ Reply to Thread