+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reels

Default Reels

Can I ask for opinions on the Okuma Helios reels? They look pretty good to me for around the $150 mark I think at Cabelas. Perhaps there are other reasonable large arbour reels that perform and look cool?

I'm also real impressed with the look of the Orvis Battenkill large arbour. $198 at Orvis. mmmmm... very nice.

Thanks fellars. I'm just thinking about putting a #7 weight travelelling pack together for New Zealand and Tasmania next year. Advice appreciated.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Gringo (edited 21 September 2005).]
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Bump!

C'mon guys, give us some feedback here please.

Gringo....have the Orvis large arbor. Outstanding workmanship, fit and finish. Also, have an Okuma Sierra, not the Helios, and it's a little junky. But, you're looking at a small price difference, so I'd go with the Orvis. Plus, I've dealt with Orvis over the years by eMail and telephone and they are extremely accomodating.

Hope it helps, Jim

I don't know this Okuma reel, but all the others I've used (and own) are a great value. Okuma makes machining equipment as its main product and these reels look like they are built by a company that knows how to machine something. THey are smooth, have great drag adjustments from an almost free spooling to locked tight. My only isue with them is their finish. The Magnitude seems better than the sierra or Integrity.

Hope this helps.

jed

I have the Orvis Battenkill large arbor I (I think!) for my 3 wt St Croix Legend Ultra thanks to a bunch of Birthday & Christmas gift certificates. I love the reel. You will also be hard pressed to find better customer service than Orvis.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Okuma does produce some nicely machined reels. I have a Sierra and an Integrity; they both are good value in low priced reels.

The Helios has an anodized finish which is superior to their painted reels. Being anodized means that it also is bar stock rather than cast like their low end reels.

One of the first questions I have is, what is the warranty? Their other reels only have a one year warranty.

There are many good reels available now in the under $200.00 class with lifetime warranties and have good reviews from users.

I have an Orvis Battenkill LA and it's a great reel. I also have a Galvan Rush, another great reel in that price class. I have also heard good things about the Ross CLA which is under $200.00.

------------------
    Joe

I've been fishing an Orvis Large Arbor on my five weight for a bit over a year now and I love it. The fit/finish is outstanding and it is one smooth reel. If you've never held one in your hand it is much lighter than you'd expect it to be.

Anyway, I love mine. I don't have any experience with the Okuma so I can't comment on that.
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

I know nothing about Okuma, but have an oppinion about the Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor. Nice reel, but needs more room for backing. The Ross Rhythm 3.5 is an awesome reel, and is not much more expensive than the Orvis. Lots of backing room, a great reel, a great warranty.

Thanks guys - it looks like the Orvis then for me.

Joe: I looked at Galvan reels in Melbourne today for $A585.00 which would be about $US480 so a completely different ball park!

Okuma: I have several very nice Okuma overhead game and spin reels and they are great, yet I have never seen a fly reel with their brand.

Any recommendations on a 4 or 6 piece traveller in #7 weight? I have a St Croix LU in #2, but still don't really know if I like it. It seems a tad on the soft side, yet hard to say as it's only a #2.

Youv'e been a big help so far though everyone, thanks heaps.

Gringo, what model Galvan was that? The one I was talking about was the Rush. It is over $200.00 here in the US for the size you are talking about but no where near that much. It seems that the Orvis is about the same price as here?

The Orvis LA with it's large diameter is the best for line pick up.

For a rod, have you tried the Redington CPS? At $249 US it is a very nice rod. If your looking for a super bargain, the Redington Crosswater is a surprisingly fast action rod at $79.00 in 4 piece.

------------------
    Joe

+ Reply to Thread