+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sage Bass rods - a review

Default Sage Bass rods - a review

I got to try one out on a trip last week. They certainly do what they are advertised to do. I was casting a hair & feather frog the size of a hubcap. According to the guide it takes a little different kind of cast. 1 - you don't want to false cast very much, if at all. The front-loaded line really does shoot big flies. 2 - after you stop your backcast, the advise was to let your wrist "break" back a little. I think this is done because the stiff rod doesn't really load. I can absolutely see this as a tool for tournaments and to fill a niche as a tube and/or boat rod. But for my everyday fishing, i.e., fish under 2 lbs. on a river - not so much.

Sounds like it is right up my alley. I can cast a fly rod by wrist-only anyway.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

How was your accuracy with this rod? I know for myself shooting a lot of line doesn't really lend itself to accuracy. But then again I am not that good at shooting line either.

Did you try the Largemouth or Smallmouth ?

I purchased the Smallmouth recently and it has become my go to rod for Black River smallies and local park Bucket mouths.

I gives you the ability to cast large flies long distances with little false cast. Love the line as well. Also comes in just under the height requirement for competition rods.

KS, My accuracy with this rod has actually been better then expected and like you I am not very good at shooting line...

Josh

Can you rollcast with this puppy at all?

rf

6. Default

nice to hear, getting my smallmouth rod in less then 2 weeks (yipee!) but, using it for bulltrout, not bass!

Quote Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
    Can you rollcast with this puppy at all?

rf
    These rods DO NOT rollcast or mend very well but that is not really what they were designed for...

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrent View Post
    nice to hear, getting my smallmouth rod in less then 2 weeks (yipee!) but, using it for bulltrout, not bass!
    If you are referring to "chuck and duck" streamer fishing for big trout, you will be extremely pleased. It was my go to rod for streamers @ Pyramid this year.

Josh

I'm currently using the Smallmouth (290 grain) on wipers and whites. It delivers heavily weighted flies every bit as well as it does bulky air resistant ones. Shoots great with very little line off the rod, and while my accuracy hasn't been improved by the rod, it certainly hasn't been hurt either.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/IMGP1133.jpg
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread