+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo....

Blog Entries

Default Bamboo....

I had the pleasure of casting a cane rod today. If nothing else, the rod was a work of art, belongs in a gallery, like all the boo rods I've seen on the net.

I have a few concerns and questions. Are normal reels, such as my Okuma, go fine with boo rods? And normal lines, such as the scientific anglers that's loaded on my reel? Or, would I need new reels, line and backing for my boo rod(s)?

With that being said, I have 6 rod blanks waiting to be built, all graphite, which brings me to my concern. My concern is weather or not I can totally forget about the boo and continue with my graphite rods. Boo is expensive, since I will not spend that much time and effort to build them. I'm too stupid to even attempt to build something that beautiful.

I should have never cast that rod.......
    Shane

Normand Guest

i dont see anything wrong with putting whatever reel you currently have on any type of rod, even bamboo. i dont think there are any commandments that say otherwise.

some folks will try to match an older style reel with bamboo for that old time retro look, but i think ist just that, a look.

Default Bamboo

You are in the throes of agony once you try a boo you will never go back. Everything you have now will work with boo. Later you may want to get a mopre time period reel but your lines will work. Let me know later if you do go to boo I have some medalists that I can set you up with very cheap and any other questions you may have will be more than happy to answer for you. Nick

Ah Shane,

You drank the bamboo kool-aid. I am lucky enough to have a father in law that gave me a bamboo rod and your right they are works of art. I won't insult a description of casting a bamboo rod with my vocabulary but I am certain I heard angles sing and again saw my best dog Quincy (may he rest in peace) chase a squirrel up a tree while casting it for the first time. A true joy.

That being said if I built rods (thank God I haven't drank the rod building kool-aid "yet") and was accomplished at it I could think of no greater legacy in rod building than to craft a bamboo rod for myself and generations of myself to fish with.

As for a line and reel I do know what you mean by not wanting to insult a work of art with a less the worthy companion but I will tell you what some one told me when I thought the same thing "you would waste it by not fishing it, it belongs on a stream not on a wall; go and enjoy it". So yes I would put on an Okama on a bamboo if that's what I had to fish with.

Respectfully,
    Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Default Bamboo

Shane
    A few years back I received my first Bamboo Rod. Bamboo has become my rod of choice but I still fish graphite at times. Any reel or line that fits the rod will work but I agree if you really get the bamboo bug you will probably want to get a reel that "looks" like a better fit with the style of bamboo but that is completely subjective. It is all about what works for you. As far as expensive...some are and some are not. You certainly can find some top of the line Bamboo Rods whether by historical value or some of the very best modern makers that will go out of range for most fisherman, myself included. But you can also find so very good quality fishable rods from makers like Heddon, South Bend and from the lesser known madern makers for a reasonable price..say $200 to $500. I seem them fairly regularly right here on the for sale board. As far as reels same deal you can find a nice old style reel easily for under $100.00.... I say go for it....put a reel on it, string it up and don't look back.
    Bill from PA

First, welcome to the "Dark Side". If you run from this place as fast as you can you might be able to escape with nothing more than a pleasant memory. However, if you have thought about that rod for more than a few minutes, you are toast.

You can use your modern reels and lines with no trouble. Had the old masters had the equipment we have today, they would surley have used it over some of that older stuff. I am a bamboo rod maker and design all my rods to accept modern reels and size guides to accept modern fly lines. There made to fish and fish hard! If you want to insult me or any other maker just hang one of our rods on the wall to look at. They are made to fish with.

What is expensive? Bamboo rods are truley one of today's bargins. Consider what a maker has in one.

Tools $2000 - $20,000 depending on if he hand planes or uses a high end mill. The two mills I have use cutters that cost $60.00 for each mill. Mine is a cheap one. Tool cost is spread out over all the rods a maker makes.

Bamboo $15.00
    Reel seat $50.00
    Ferrules $ 50.00
    varnish $ 0.15
    Rod tube $ 30.00

Labor 80 hours. Use what you make per hour and do the math. You wouldn't expect you rod maker to work for less. Would you?

Go to bamboo and never look back. Its only money. When you go to the grave you will be back to where you started when you were born.

fishbum

Shane -

I have no doubt at all that by the time you finish the six graphite rods you have available to build, you will be fully capable of turning out a fine bamboo rod.

Get after those graphite rods and get'em done so we can see some pics of you with your first bamboo build !!

John
    The fish are always right.

You can use any reel and line you are comfortable with on a bamboo rod, however the rod will perform much better with an extra syllable (as in bam-boo).

You say that bamboo is expensive, which it is. But you also say you have six graphite blanks waiting to be built. Even if you build them all yourself that still adds up to a pile of money. Frankly I think in the long run you will be much happier with a few rods that you really love than a gazillion rods to cover every little situation. Just my two cents. I've been at both ends of the spectrum.

nighthawk Guest

Most any reel will work but a word of caution about lines. If you are purchasing a vintage bamboo rod that has not been fitted with modern guides you will need to use a smaller diameter line. The reason is these antique rods were built to cast the small diameter flat lines of the era. I have a Montague Western Special that is all original. It is a 3 piece, 9 ft with one tip and has not been restored. It can be fished right now. I purchased a Cortland 444 Sylk WF-6-F line for it. The Cortland Sylk series is specifically made to use on older rods with smaller guides, has a very soft, supple coating and casts great on my Monty.

http://www.cortlandline.com/products/default.asp?id=96

Good rods like this can be had online for less than $100 but ask lots of questions about guides, bamboo condition like dings, de-lamination, nicks, cracks, splits, shortened tips (have had the tip top replaced) ferrule materials, cracked ferrules, reel seat condition, condition of the cork and so on...

I got the Monty for less than $100 and the custom made banty boo for about $95 off of eBay:

The banty is made of all new materials, not from the mid and tip of an older rod. Banties made from the mid and tips of oder rods are great rods if done properly and usually sell fro reasonable prices. Since you are already into rod building why not just restore your own bamboo? One thing I might suggest is that when shopping for a reel take your bamboo with you. Find out which reel feels to you when mounted on the rod.
    Last edited by nighthawk; 05-20-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Don't overlook the 'strip built' wooden rods.

These can be made with much less tooling, less time, and by those with less skills. If you have a table saw and a wood lathe, you can build one of these...

The feel is very similar to a cane rod.

Those that I've handled so far are as pretty, or even prettier, than cane.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread