+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where's he fishing?

Default Where's he fishing?

On another message board, the discussion about fishing and difficulty came up. One of the membes made a statement that he (or she) does not consider bass because they are far too easy to catch.

The implication was trout are the only worthy prey and bass are not enough of a challenge.

My question to him was could he please share the location of those easy bass.

So, what's the thought here, bass too easy to consider?

Not trolling, just wanted to hear the discussion in these parts on the warm water forum.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
    One of the membes made a statement that he (or she) does not consider bass because they are far too easy to catch.

The implication was trout are the only worthy prey and bass are not enough of a challenge.

Jeff
    Sounds like someone just "running at the mouth." I have had outrageously easy and outrageously difficult days with both species, so I would have to disagree with that statement. All species are worthy of respect and a certain degree of stealth. If you want difficult prey, go fishing for freshwater bonefish (carp). I'm still waiting for that first one on a fly.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

jeffnles1

I guess trout over 18" would compare to 10" bluegill or a 5# Large Mouth Bass in my book. I don't think there is any special trick to catching any common species of fish as long as you have the essentials. 1. Right Oppertunity 2. Right equipment 3. Right amount of luck.

The closest decent trout stream is a four hour trip to me and I can be at good bluegill and bass water in about 30 minutes. With the price of gas and hotel rooms warm water fishing is more attractive. But like most people I guess my trout run about 12" to 15" the bluegills run about 4" to 7" and the large mouth bass run up to a couple pounds.

I guess what we really need to know is how big and what quantities this person catches to make large mouth bass so easy. My guess is that a 2wt rod isn't being used eaither.

Greg

This may come from some of the literature that tells anglers to cast to a spot where they caught a large bass the next time they are in the area. The next largest bass will have moved in. That might make them a little eaier to catch.

My guess is that trout act the same way.

Rick

My guess is the guy was a trout purist or had never really fished for bass.

Personally, if it swims, I'll fish for it. I'm not terribly picky. I love fishing for trout, especially in the freestone streams of the Smokey Mountains. There is a tailwater about an hour drive from me with some decent browns (20" range) and they're a lot of fun to catch.

But I've seen a lot of days when bass can be just as picky as any trout. In fact, I've had days when bluegill are quite picky.

Like someone already said, any fish can be easy to catch under the right conditions.

Fight for fight, a 10" bluegill on a 3 wt is about as much fun as a guy should be allowd to have and a 5# bass on a 5wt is a hoot.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
    Fight for fight, a 10" bluegill on a 3 wt is about as much fun as a guy should be allowd to have and a 5# bass on a 5wt is a hoot.

Jeff
    Hey Jeff. If you want fun, try the big gills on a 7'-0" 1 wt. Ooh la la is that ever a lot of fun.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

Personally, I would put down anyone fishing for any fish. To each his own. I've taken out many trout purists who have all sorts of trouble. I've gone trout fishing and felt totally inadequate. I don't make fun of them. I hope they give me a break.

Warmwater species don't exactly jump in the boat and can present problems.
    Steve

We were trying to crappie fish with the 4 wts when we put over a doz smaller bass in the boat. Fish up to 16". They weren't monsters, but very entertaining indeed.

It depends on the season. These prespawn fish, we very active in the shallow, but warmer channels on the lake. Other times of the year, it can be difficult. I tend to like to "pick corn when the corn is ready". In other words when the gills are biting I fish for gills. When the bass are biting I fish for bass, when the steelhead are running I try to fish for them. I fish for trout when I am in trout country though. With so many species to choose from, pick the corn when the corn is ready. I am just about to pick carp. My absolute favorite species on a fly rod. I still remember Gary Borger's talk this past winter in which he said, The wiley brown trout has an IQ of 6 but the carp has an IQ of 12. Those that look down their nose at carp, just don't know them.

Anytime on the water or in the field is a good day.

Rick

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Angry Big Water Bass?

My best guess is that this guy has been fishing some under-fished farm pond where he can reach all the fish in terms of both location and depth. I would like to see him spend some time on one of the big water lakes with miles of heavily fished shoreline and depths of sixty feet or more. I believe that he would eat his words rather than bass fillets. Big water bass are not easy on a fly rod. 8T

I agree that it probably has more to do with location than anything else. My favorite stream back home was over populated with fiesty browns and the occasional rainbow. I could catch em pretty much any day of the year whenever I wanted. Since moving here to the island nation of Ohio, I've had a hell of time trying to master the waters I fish. I'd say that bass are 10 times harder to catch than trout, but that is only because of the waters I've fished. I do know one golf course pond where you can catch LMB with a hook that is thread wrapped and that's it. However, I know that doesn't represent the species as whole.
    Leave No Trace

+ Reply to Thread