+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Handle Shaping on Rod?

hutjensmpg Guest

Question Handle Shaping on Rod?

Last year after the season closed I got a used custom z-axis for a song, but never got the chance to fish it until this season. Casts like a dream, but after several all day outings I'm realizing the grip is a too fat for my hand and tires it out by the end of the day.

It's not that far off of some grips that I fish all day with no problems, so I was thinking I could modify it myself. I checked out the rod building section in here, but that's for shaping off the rod. Anybody got a good method for shaping the handle once it's already on the rod? I'd prefer too not invest a lot of money in tools, but don't mind investing quite a bit of manual work time. Any help is much appreciated!

Blog Entries

with sand paper and patience you can slowly sand it down rotating it as you go to avoid flats. If it was mine I would rig a lathe like tool out of a variable speed drill and then sand it down, go slowly measure often. use a rod you like as a guide for size. (a clean crescent wrench works as a measuring tool when you are trying to get a certain size)

Eric

It can certainly by done by hand with a sanding block or strip of sanding abrasive, but you might be able to get some ideas from the following link....

http://www.thomaspenrose.com/cork.htm

On another web site some one set up a jig like the one above, but used a simple cardboard box with carefully placed holes for the 'bearings'. Cork is real soft and cuts well with sand paper, so it doesn't take a great deal of power to turn it down.

I would recommend using several layers of masking tape over any area that might get damaged in the process, like the winding check or areas in contact with 'bearings'.

I would recommend contacting a competent local rod builder.

Find one that has a rod lathe and it will make the work extremely quick and flawless. The grips will be nice and even when finished, unlike doing it by hand ... in most cases. I doubt they will charge you much at all, it isn't that much work.

TJ -

It is definately much harder by hand!

You must take the type of cork into consideration; if the cork is porous you will have quite a bit of difficulty. But if the cork is of a higher quality ; denser, things will go much better for you.

But the best would be to turn it!

Good luck,
    chris

I'm in the process of building a grip turning jig using a variable speed drill. I have a couple of cork grips that are too large and want to turn them down. If it works I'll post some photos.

You can go to Grizzly.com and take a look at the setup for turning with a drill. You could get the stand and their drill for perfect fit for around a hundred dollars, or the stand alone for half that. However, the point to point is 24" I think. For making grips this is enough. for turning your grip already on the rod it may not work for you.
    Gemrod

hutjensmpg Guest

All, thanks for the tips and links. Once again good info on the board!

Jack - let me know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Uncle Barry Guest

Good evening.
    For a one off, reshape and to save all the dollars in drills and presses etc.

Try your local hardware store.
    Then find or ask for ..belt sander... belts.
    They came in a number of grades.

Buy 2, a course and a smooth grade.
    Cut the belts so that you now have a long strap like section of, whatever grade ?
    Then wrap it around the cork
    and DON'T NOT apply much pressure, just a soft back and forward.

Then the smooth belt the same.

Arr too easy, when you know how.

Kind regards,
    UB

+ Reply to Thread