+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felt Sole Coming Off

1. Question Felt Sole Coming Off

I just need some expertise from you, experienced ladies and gentlemen. I was fishing Deep Creek in Bryson City, NC this past week. This is the second time on this particular stream where the felt sole has come off of my wading boots. Am I doing something wrong? Am I dragging my feet on the rocks and the rocks are tearing the felt from the boot? I have had the felt repaired twice at the Red Wing Store in Wilmington, NC. I am wondering if I am not picking up my feet properly and the rocks are tearing the felt from the boot. Or is the Cement not holding in the water from the wading? Please help. I am tired of visiting the repair store so often.

Blog Entries

Sounds like a cement problem. If at all possible, get the sole stitched to the upper in addition to the glue. Does wonders. If you boots don't allow that, keep cementing and good luck. Has happened to most of us at least once in our fishing careers.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wcu boy View Post
    I was fishing Deep Creek in Bryson City, NC this past week. This is the second time on this particular stream where the felt sole has come off of my wading boots.
    fish a different creek! see if it happen there!

Makes me think of the time we were going into Trout Creek on the Deschutes....a friend was gluing on some indoor outdoor carpet...[it was that long ago]....of course later when he was fishing upstream we saw the carpet floating down stream....wet glue just ain't gonna work

Seriously I know that's not your problem....I have been known to reinforce a glue job or a spot where it might be coming loose with the proper screws....they then can act like studs too.

5. Default

I fished Bradley Creek the previous day with no problems. Are you suggesting that stream could have some element in it that attacks the glue, Normand.. My waders are rubber. Therefore, screws are not an option. Barge cement may be my only hope. I do have a suggestion from a friend on this site about how to apply Barge cement.
    Do you think the stream has an element that attacks the glue used, Normand.

Quote Originally Posted by wcu boy View Post
    I fished Bradley Creek the previous day with no problems. Are you suggesting that stream could have some element in it that attacks the glue, Normand.. My waders are rubber. Therefore, screws are not an option. Barge cement may be my only hope. I do have a suggestion from a friend on this site about how to apply Barge cement.
    Do you think the stream has an element that attacks the glue used, Normand.
    wcu boy, you gotta know Normand....sometimes we're just having fun...the creek is not the problem.
    The Barge cement is probably the best way to go if you have rubber boot foot waders....do it right though...patience...there's probably a thread here still available if you do a search.

If your boots have ridges and contours maybe that is a problem.....getting felt to conform...

I had a pair of Chota boots with felt and studs which the felt heel came off of. I dried them out in the basement sitting on the furnace edge, cleaned the dirt from them as best I could, then used the glue that comes with replacement felt liners to reattach the felt. Worked like a champ and has been holding for more than 5 years. I believe I got the felt replacement kit at Dick's Sporting goods.

If you have boot foot waders with felt overlay, you can use 1/2" or 3/4" long hex head gutter screws to reattach a felt and hold it in place. With the thickness of the felt and the actual rubber on the boot, you should not go through into the boot.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

wcu,
    And I had just the opposite problem. I too purchased the replacement felt soles from Dicks at a closeout $5.00 price but couldn't get the old worn felt soles OFF the Chotas . BTW, I just NOW noticed the boots were Chotas after 6 years of use. Failing the resole attempt, I'm still wearing them with the worn felt soles. I will try the screw trick though and just no longer use them for bowling.

Mark

"just no longer use them for bowling"

Here on the West Coast....I'm going to bed ....but laughing

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    If at all possible, get the sole stitched to the upper in addition to the glue.
    Does anyone have a shoemaker they know who would do this anywhere in PA?(I travel all over the state and I have 3 prs of boots that need this work)

I tried 3 shoemakers in my area and they both almost threw me out of the store!!!
    Thanks
    "...when I'm not AFISHN,I'm a huntin'..."

+ Reply to Thread