+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Miami Beach - Surf Hot Spot??

1. Default Miami Beach - Surf Hot Spot??

Hi guys, i'll be going on vaca for 4 days in Florida Miami Beach, I'm hoping to do some shore/surf fishing while I'm there but no clue where the hot spots are, any tip would be great! Also I'm from Massachusetts do I need to get a license to fish from the Shore?

I do both - Fly and Surf Spin Fishing!

Thanks much!

NewbieSurf

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Cant help you with the east coast fishing, but let me be the first of I'm sure many who will wecome you to FAOL

Eric

Welcome to the best F.F. site around.

Puffer

Yes you will need a saltwater license to anywhere in the salt in Florida. Yes there is stuff to catch off the beaches there in Miami Beach. The water is warming rapidly and temperature distates what you'll find running the surf line. LookDown's are a common catch as are Jack Crevalle. Blue Runner's are also common. There were lots of Bluefish around last month but I suspect that they are now moving north with the water warming. If you fish around any of the structure you have a shot at a Snook as well.

BEWARE OF THE LEATHER JACKS!
    You can see one here - http://www.acfishing.com/fishid/leatherjack.gif
    They have plenty of spines that contain a very strong venom. If you get stuck, the punctured are will throb and feel like it's on fire for some time. It is extremely painful. These little guys just LOVE to eat flies so it's common to catch them along the beaches. Use some long pliers or hemo's to release them.

To avoid the crowds focus on first light as the beach will get busy as the sun comes up. Last light can also be real good but WATCH YOUR BACKCAST.

As for spinning gear, bring some topwater plugs and stickbaits. You'll have a shot at Jacks, Tarpon, Snook, Blacktip Sharks, and so on.

You'll find that the water drops off quickly right where the water meets the beach to about shoulder height in spots then shallows out to a sand bar about 30 yards out and then drops off again. The fish often run that "tube/tunnel" right at the beach so fish there. If the surf is not bad you can wade out to the bar and fish the other side of that but you'll typically be in chest deep water out there.

Tha canals around the Miami Airport are loaded with Peacock Bass as well as many other exotics and Largemouth if you have tim as well. You'll need a freshwater license to fish there though.

Hope this helps . . .

PS - The northern most end of South Beach is the clothing optional area so the scenery can get interesting as the sun comes up : )

I would target the bridges at night...around the pilings will be stacked with tarpon...anywhere there is lights will be good...Biscayne Bay has trout in that area...I fish the local saltwater intrusion gates there myself...I live in Coral Gables so I tend to stay on the west side of Biscayne Bay and chase bonefish/permit/tarpon and yes the canals are full of exotics and peacocks and bass but you can get jacks/snook/tarpon etc at the right moments

Blog Entries

Smile Florida Surf

newbisurf,

Here is a link to Florida On The Fly. It contains links to many fishing related companies and has loads of info. Check it out.

http://floridaonthefly.info/

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    Cant help you with the east coast fishing, but let me be the first of I'm sure many who will wecome you to FAOL

Eric
    Yes, because you're from out of stater, you do need a license.

8. Default Awesome Responses!! Thanks All oFISHonados!!

Looking forward of getting a 3 day fishing license Are there any specific fishing spots either at the Haulover Point or Miami Beach Marina Area or wherever that fishing is allowed the whole day? TakemeFishing.Org indicated Belle Island as the designated fishing spot. Is this true? Is this area considered fresh or saltwater?

Thanks for a very nice tip Dr Fish. I was trying to find a video at youtube for Miami fishing and that part of Miami is certainly a must see, I mean fish

PS. Also thanks to the email message I received from someone offering guided tours. I appreaciate your suggestions but I'm a do it yourself kinda guy. Its just part of the adventure!

Sorry for the late response!

NewbieSurf

+ Reply to Thread