+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XL Bull Snake

Default About the big rattlesnake picture

I'm 99.9999% sure the picture of the rattlesnake is not from Wisconsin. (the .0001% uncertainty is only because people do move snakes around.) Wrong species. It looks like a large western diamondback and they live no where near WI. Looks like Texas to me. It's not 9 feet long--more like six to seven feet long and it is no where near 80 pounds--rattlesnakes simply do not weigh 10 pounds per foot. Looks like the guy that photographed this snake is well practiced in the "hold the snake close to the camera" technique and he is probably an expert at photographing "trophy" fish as well. After my first bit of skepticism I decided to do a bit of web searching about this photo....Check out http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/txsnake.asp or simply google "Texas Rattlesnake" that's what I did. No offense to Larry, I know this is a flyfishing board populated by....well fishermen and none of us would ever embellish a story. But, I just feel that snakes are so misunderstood that when I see something like this image that plays to folks fascination/fears/misunderstandings I feel obligated to try and set things straight---for the sake of the snakes and for the sake of people's sanity in the back country.

BW

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I never kill them though I often see them. They eat rodents and for that I thank them. I was driving near my home one day and a big, black monster - maybe a rat snake??? was in the road. It was a cool day after rain and he was sitting on the blacktop sunning himself. I stopped the car and nudged him off of the road before someone ran him over. He was a big snake and I always enjoy seeing them.

My son keeps snakes as pets. This is one of his recent additions.

Spinner, the thought of that snake chasing you around your truck, makes me smile.
    Very nice albino ball python Clay, does your son breed?

Haha, I love the big bull snakes. They sure can get your blood going I purchased a big female bull from someone who wasn't very "reputable". But, at any rate, I bought her, brought her home. Opened up the package, got her out of the bag....And then the nightmare began. She was insane.

Out in the wild, they can be quite fun. Crazy ones in captivity that you have to feed and clean. Well, not for me

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    Spin, don't worry. Bull snakes only eat people who fish small, out of the way trout streams.

Several years ago I snuck up on a spring creek pool, and was timing the rises of a big brown trout eating BWOs as I squatted down in the grass. I kept hearing this loud hissing sound, and couldn't figure out what it was. I turned to look behind me, and 6" from my butt was a coiled up bull snake as big around as my arm. He had his mouth wide open, aimed at my cheek, and was hissing his displeasure at my proximity.

Somewhere in the air over the creek, my higher thought processes filed the snake under "not a rattlesnake" and my adrenaline level dropped accordingly. I STILL cleared that 30' wide pool without touching water, I swear. Some yahoo killed the snake that summer and threw it in the creek.
    LOL, that "HISS" is quite loud isn't it. It's quite amazing just how loud snakes are when they're....angry Too bad someone killed it

Thanks for sharing the pic!
    Shane

Sounds like you know your snakes Shane. He really likes the ball pythons. This past year he even went to a reptile show in FL. It might not be a big deal if you are from FL but for a Wis boy to fly to FL to look and talk snakes and he has it almost as bad as I do about fly fishing.

I don't want to hijack Spinner's thread too much, but again, snakes are cool. I think that people that want to hurt them just aren't educated about all of the benefits they provide for us. A very misunderstood creature. They are interesting and they do command some respect.

I see where Spinner mentioned he has only seen a few rattle snakes in the state. I know that he spends a tremendous amount of time in the field compared to most fisherman. I've never seen a rattle snake in Wisconsin. I would like to keep it that way, but if the encounter ever takes place I will look upon it as a special encounter and leave the snake a wide berth and move on with respect and awe of being in it's presence.

Rick

Uncle Barry Guest

Good morning.
    Interesting how some people see snakes differently.

In the image/photo, I saw a nice long coloured belt, a small lady's hand bag and if I was lucky a hat band.

Now where was that snake skin again ?

Kind regards
    UB

Blog Entries

Uncle Barry Guest

Good morning.
    Yes it maybe protected, however I was being totaly honest.

And I don't really like snakes after having one strike me in the leg many years ago.

Isn't it strange how people apply the law to certian things and then jump in their car and exceed the speed limit
    BUT thats ok,
    BUT excess speed kills humans.. thats why there are laws against it.
    funny minds these humans have, generally.

Kind regards,
    UB

Blog Entries

UB,

I've been struck by many snakes and I still love them. But to each thier own.

With the laws, well, I guess some people just respect the law in general. Other, respect some of the laws and not others. I'm one of those people. I tresspass to fish for example, but I won't kill an endangered animal. I speed, but I won't sell drugs, etc etc. Of course, here in Canada I won't be shot for tresspassing. But you get my point, this is why some people apply the law to certain things and not others.

Best Regards,
    Shane

Blog Entries

Clay, is that ball python an albino, or an amelanistic snake? I have friends who raise amel corn snakes.

Ed

Blog Entries

Ed, it's both. Amelanistic is Albinism. Depends who discovers the morph, some people prefer albino, some prefer amelanistic. Corns are amel, balls are albino, reticulated pythons are amel as well, as a few others. Same gene though

Shane

+ Reply to Thread