+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need guide for Lees Ferry

Default Need guide for Lees Ferry

Any recommendations? I'll be in the area later this summer and I'm looking for a reputable outfit. I'm sure somebody from this site has been there. Thanks for the help.

Some magazines have done write-ups and mentioned the guides, and I know there are some that adverstise in the back of Fly Fisherman.

You may want to investigate the quality of fishing this season. They had big releases from the dam upstream a while back, and that is likely to mess with the fish.

Blog Entries

Well I only went there once, and had a lousy guide, and swore I would never return, so I can't recommend a good one. I hope he's not the one you get. In the interest of several years having passed, I won't tell you what service we used. Unless you really want to know, in which case you can email me.

I talked to Brad Shallenberger on the phone a couple of years ago. I wanted him to guide me and he wouldn't based on the fact that he thought that the fishing wasn't going to be any good. That's a move that only a good guide would make. Anyway, he came highly recommended and I don't know if he's still guiding or not but he was nice enough on the phone. I ended up renting a jet boat and fishing it myself, which really wasn't all that much cheaper than a guide day. He was right about the fishing. You could google him and see what comes up.

Thanks Benjo.
    Gutbomb, you just heard from one of the very top Montana guides. Pretty strong info IMHO.

Found his name. Thanks to all for the help.

gutbomb
    Might check with Terry & Wendy Gunn. Have not met Terry, but Wendy is top notch. They have been on Lee's Ferry for years. I have never been there. But....I was a judge on a fishing tournament in AZ...where she is not based. The team I had to watch and measure their fish for the tournament contest consisted of two male guides and Wendy. She outfished both of them. Her total exceeded the two men's total combined. She also caught the biggest one. I believe she is still the current world record holder for women distance fly casting....but I am not totally sure on that. But just to be a helper....letting you know she is top notch. You can see her and Terry on a couple of Fly Fishing TV videos.

Just FYI
    Gemrod

+ Reply to Thread