+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teton tioga

Default Teton tioga

Hey everyone,

I am trying to figure out what the difference is between the teton tioga and the teton tioga magnum is...

I am looking at the size 8 large arbor and cannot figure out what the difference is between those. Are they the same reel? after 7 are they all magnums?

I really appreciate any help,

Thanks

Phil

Hi there,

You can check out tetonflyreels.com for all the specs.

A Tioga 8 Standard, the columns are:
    Model / weight / spool diameter / spool width/ arbour diameter/ backing capacity and line
    8 Standard 6.6 oz 3.25" .9" .75" 150-200 YDS 20# WF7-9F

A Large Arbour is (see column headings above)
    8 Large Arbor 7.1 oz 3.25" .9" 1.8" 100-150 YDS 20# WF6-8F

and a Magnum is (same column headings)
    8 Large Arbor 7.6 oz 3.25" 1.2" 1.8" 125-175 YDS 20# WF6-9F

So to answer your question, they are pretty much the same, but the spool width is wider on the magnum so they hold a little mor backing than the large arbour model.

I have a Tioga 8 standard and that reel rocks for Atlantic Salmon.

Dwight
    Last edited by DBenner; 05-01-2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Make columns more visible

Phil,
    The standard Teton Tioga will also accept a "large arbor" spool, which is not a true large arbor...backing capacity is greatly reduced. The Magnum is wider, thus giving greater backing capacity while storing your line in a looser coil. That being said, no matter what Tioga reel you buy, you're getting a great reel at a really affordable price. I've owned them & they are fine reels & very tough...they will take a lot of abuse.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I'll "3rd" the vote, on any Tioga you're considering.
    I own several of them and as Mikey states "Great real, for the money" and I'd add "great real, at almost any price". The drags are super smooth, never has a stall or jerky start up with one when needed and with the sizes I have, I use them for everything form warm water to Steelheading, in our Pacific Coast rivers.
    When I also realized that the finish on my Tiogas, were so tough, when I accidentally smeared a frame with Mikey's peanutbutter fudge and it didn't dissolve the reel, like I've seen it do to iron and stainless, I was REALLY sold on Tiogas for life!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    ...when I accidentally smeared a frame with Mikey's peanutbutter fudge and it didn't dissolve the reel, like I've seen it do to iron and stainless...
    Be careful with the peanutbutter fudge, man.

I gotta know. Was this one incident -- a small explosion, perhaps -- where you got peanutbutter fudge all over everything? Or were these separate incidents where peanutbutter fudge ended up on various metals, both ferrous and nonferrous -- again? Should I be concerned about the cutlery?
    Last edited by nb_ken; 05-02-2008 at 04:07 PM.

Over the years I've managed to get good deals on four regular Tetons, so I never bought a Tioga. What are the differences between the two, besides price?

Sawkil; A few of the differences, between the Teton and their lesser priced Tioga is in the weights and capacities of the two reels.
    Such as, the Teton #4-their general sized "Trouting reel", has a bit more aluminum in it, making for a "beefier, stronger, cage". It weighs 3.8oz.
    The same sized reel, in the Tioga #4 series, weighs 2.75oz.
    The Teton spool arbors carry a backing capacity of 75yrds of 20#
    The Tioga spool arbors carry a backing capacity of 60yrds of 20#
    (These are both the "standard" #4 sized arbors, not the LA models)

But, one nice thing about the Tioga, that I found I really like, (for the difference in price), is the fact, BOTH reel share the exact, same, high quality drag system and BOTH reels, feature a "stripping tension adjustment" that VERY few reels have available.
    The "stripping tension adjustment", is strictly to keep one from over the running line, when the drag is set lightly and is independent of the the drag system.

Nb-ken........... you're right on, with the "Be careful of the peanutbutter fudge", scenario! Mikey was kind?? enough to send me a pound of his "creation" not too long ago, (and has PROMISED ME MORE, which has NEVER MATERIALIZED OF COURSE!?!), and although admittedly, quite tasty, Mikey did NOT warn me of certain things I wish he would have..........
    While eating his fudge, "a normal finger food treat of course", I had it on my fingers when petting one of our kennel's top female producing dogs.
    2 days, after that encounter, she was completely furless and no longer able to produce offspring. Mikey's comeback was "Well, AT LEAST there's no SHEDDING anymore!". As I told Mikey........ "Cairn Terriers don't "shed" to begin with, it's one of the great traits about that breed of dog!"
    I also had picked up a desk pen, around this same time, as eating the fudge, and its barre, (all metal), dissolved into a puddle on my desk top. The ink, ignited, obviously causing a scary moment or two, in the home office.
    I HAD..... a beautiful, older, IM-700 9' x 3wt. fly rod, which USED TO HAVE lovely, Full Wells grip on it, before I accidentally picked it up, while again eating a small piece of "Mikey's Delight" , one afternoon, which I'd stupidly added to my day's fishing lunch.
    Obviously, it's a great testimonial, then, to the Tioga's excellent finish process that it survived an encounter with this made man, but still yet unknown, substance Mikey turns out.
    Last edited by flybinder; 05-02-2008 at 06:49 PM.
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

Talking

So your saying don't leave a gob of the fudge in the bottom of the aluminum boat while out fishing several miles from shore
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

The only difference between the Teton and the Teton Tioga is the porting of the frame and reel spools. The spools are actually interchangable between the 2 reels. Less and plainer porting on the Tioga keeps the price down but otherwise the same reel more importantly the same exact drag system. Makes the Tioga weigh a bit more but thats a good thing for this bamboo rod user.
    The Magnum by Teton is a true large arbor, wide spool reel. While the large arbor spools for the Teton and the Tiogas are not true large arbor, you gain weight and lose backing capacity.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer View Post
    So your saying don't leave a gob of the fudge in the bottom of the aluminum boat while out fishing several miles from shore
    No, don't do that, GnuBee, EVER! You'll not only, "deep six" yourself and the boat within a few minutes, but even if you survive and make it back to shore............... you'll immediately be arrested, fined and jailed, for "Intensional over-polluting of a body of water, with a toxic substance".

Talked to Mikey, on the phone last night in fact and he was telling me "How the oil industry folks have contacted him about using his fudge for "silent drilling on the North Slope". Evidently, they wish to drop a pound of his concoction down a drilled hole, so once the diamond tip drills hit solid bedrock... the fudge will very easily continue "eating its way, through the solid rock", until the diamond drills can once again take over the drilling.

I, think, his fudge in fact is why Mikey's such an avid used of the Tioga reels!?! The only ones impervious to the acidity of his fudge!?

Hard to believe, that something that tastes so GOOD as this fudge of his can also be so useful in everyday industry!?
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread