+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Fork Tx ???

Default Lake Fork Tx ???

Anyone having any luck lately fly fishing Lake Fork in TX? We're there and fishing has been tough this week. Very windy, stained water etc etc.

Any hints, locations etc for a fellow fly fisher?

-wayne

Are you targeting the famed largemouths? There is a lot of Texas traffic HERE. If you'd care to search "Fork," you'll likely turn up a lot of reading.

That lake is said to hold yellow bass. If you brought a light rod, those could be fun to target, and they are fine food fish, too. (And, yellow bass is a prolific species very suitable for catch-and-keep.)

We're trying to target LM Bass. Got lots of rods with us . . .6 through 9 wts.

There are also some very large Crappie to be had in Lake Fork. Fish near Tree Stumps and bridge pillings. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Report from another board. When a guide can't find them, what can you do?

Posted on 4/29/2008 at 9:48:54 PM

Fished with Rob Woodruff Sat. Fished froo 7 to 6 and not a fish all day. Front moved through Friday night and created lockjaw in all the fish.Two tourneys going on and only a dozen or so fish were gaught all day. Weather was cold Sat. morning and cloudly all day long. Sun did finally come out around 6 and warmed up but no help. Water temp averaged 68 degrees. Rained all day Sunday untill About 3. Rob is a great guy to fish with a wealth of info and willing to share. Interesting fact he told me is there were 15,000 fish caught on Fork each year for the past 7 years that weighed over 7lbs. That is a lot of fish. Had a great time despite the no bite attitude of the fish and lousy weather. ? http://www.texasflyreport.com/forums...aspx?id=115129

Well the lockjaw continues . . . . . . The guy I am with did land a 3 pounder and lost one that looked about 7 lbs. We tried top water, deer hair bugs back in a cove this evening when the wind finally died in there. Had glass water surface, nice time for top water, nothing . . . . except for a bluegill that hit the bug I was throwing.

-wayne

Blog Entries

Wayne

That is majorly bad! All the way from Arkansas to find the fish have left town.
    One thought is to visit some local bait shops, see what they have to say about the fishing. I am fairly sure that it's an overall lockjaw. This weather has been bad on fishing; high winds and bluebird skies. Makes one want to freeline bluegills on a spinning rod.

It's been exactly that, high winds and bluebird skies. . . . . A front just went through this morning leaving some more rain behind. It's supposed to be partly cloudy the rest of the day . . . . we're going out a bit later today I think.

-wayne

Day 4, blue bird sunny and little wind. More enjoyable weather for not catching fish . . LOL. Not a total loss, my buddy caught a 5 pounder today.

Wayne, I know the feeling you're experiencing. I'd have to give up on the bass and go after the gills. Kudos to you for persistence. I hate that you came to Texas for a big LMB and are being disappointed. I've spent many hours on Lake Fork chunking Lures and flies at the bass. I have yet to get anything over five pounds. I only use 20 pound test on my casting rod and 10 pound test leaders. I've been broken off by big bass so many times that I'm convinced a big LMB is not in the cards for me.
    Hang in the buddy, hope it turns around before you leave.

Rodger

+ Reply to Thread