+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vest, pack or lanyard

Default Vest, pack or lanyard

What is your preference? I am trying to stay more on the minimalist side of things and have not quite found my perfect match. I started with a vest but got lost in all the pockets and switched to a chestpack that doesnt quite hold everything I need. I would like to be able to carry two fly boxes, ultralight rain jacket, tippet, leaders, shot, floatant etc, etc. I use alot of multi functional tools to limit the gadgets. I fish from March through September and see every weather extreme WI has to offer, so that is a major consideration. I have checked out all the major brands, Fishpond, Willy J, Orvis, and even checked out a couple of others that I had not heard of, Tulli and Techvest. With so many choices out there I did not want to reinvent the wheel so I was hoping all the experience on this site could help out.

So what has your experiences been and what would you recomend?

Thanks !

bjacks

Someone posted an answer and a link on here a few months back in response to a similar question that I liked. It would be my next purchase. It was a lumbar pack from REI or similar store, and one could buy shoulder straps for it. If one could figure out how to put a camelback type pouch on the straps in back, it would be a complete setup for hike-in fishing.

I used to wear a light vest and use a lanyard..with neither too overloaded.

most times... none of the above... an altoids tin, a pair of nippers, and some extra tippet, gink.

If I have to go with more, I still prefer a vest. Night now I am using the cheapest one Wally World sells. It doesn't have nearly so many pockets and snaps and such, which discourages trying to fit in the kitchen sink. It isn't the perfict answer but better for me than either packs or lanyards.

Ed

Oh yeah, being a barbarian, I also often carry a polar creel. You put stuff in it. fish too.

Deezel Guest

Personal preference is, and has been, the vest. Now I'm not a 'minimalist' so I like a lot of room for all the 'stuff' I consider important. I'm also very lightweight so I like some weight in the vest. When wading, the weight above the water is sometimes important.

Deezel

I have a marvelous waist pack, from Duluth Pack, that holds everything I need for extended hikes up streams. Otherwise I use a lanyard to carry the very basics for the fishing I'll be doing ... if I know I won't be too far from shelter for the pop up storm ... or replenishing the flies from the car.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Vest! Fishpond!

Im very happy with mine!

I'll jump in on this one.

I've gone through the take everything stage and the minimalist stage. Now I'm somewhere in the middle. I currently use a versatile pack that can be fanny/waist or chest pack with detachable water bottle carriers. I really like it better than anythng I've used before.

When in chest pack mode the back is just a large open mesh. You can easily attach or wear the camelback of your choice. I've done it and it works fine. Most of the time it's just nice to have the large mesh to keep you cool in the summer. In fanny pack mode the wide belt does offer some back support.

There are two versions of this pack. I use the larger Wright & McGill WMETP500 Metolious Tackle Pack. Most of the time I use it as a waist pack which allows me to slide it completely out of the way until I need something, plus I don't like a lot of stuff hanging in front of me. This pack holds two or three large fly boxes and a couple of smaller ones. It doesn't hold as much as a good vest but it holds plenty, it's easy to get to everything and it even has a built-in rain cover.

Obviously, this meets MY style of fishing. Good luck in your search.

Bjacks -

I use a Fishpond chestpack combined with a Camelback Rim Runner hydration pack. Close to the car, I can leave the Camelback there. For a full day fishing away from the car, the Rim Runner will carry all the weather gear, food, water, and extra fly fishing stuff I need. When I just want to go hiking, or biking, the Rim Runner is just about ideal for gear, food, and water.

The Fishpond has somewhere around 425-450 days on it. Showing a little wear on the back from contact with the velcro closures on my rain jacket. Otherwise, it is in great shape. The Rim Runner has well over 550 days on it and shows some wear, mostly in the way of fading from several thousand hours of exposure to the sun and other elements, and a short length of stitching for the main compartment zipper is gone. But it will probably go another 500 days before its done.

In other words - a very flexible system, with both components bullet proof.

John
    The fish are always right.

Check out the hunting packs at Cabelas.

+ Reply to Thread