+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New idea....

Lightbulb New idea....

I came up with this when I was watching the "Cap Spider" video. Unfortunately, I lost this one already (Lost it within 5 minutes of fishing), but had several strikes on it. I also weighted it, which was a bad idea cuz my 4wt won't carry it too well without hauling the line. I also had no rubber legs like the one in the video, so I substituted Pheasant tail barbules (I think that's the term) with the thick ends out. Let me know what you think.

Hook- Size 10 2xl nymph
    Tail- Red four strand floss
    Body- Black chenille with red stripe made from Red four strand floss
    Legs- Preferably the striped rubber legs....
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

Joe,

Let's see, you had several strikes on it? That's the answer to me. If the fish like it, it's a winner. Can't wait to see it after a few fish have shredded the floss up a bit. They should go nuts over it then.

Very nice.

Which part of the floss? I saw the red band on the Royal Coachman and the Royal Wulff and thought, "That looks cool!" So I put a red band on it, not just because it looks cool, but because it's flashy. I am thinking of using something like the material used to make eggs for the tail or something that will keep the fan shape a little better.

Fatman Guest

If it's too heavy for your 4wt you could try weighting it less or fish it on a larger rod. But nice tie and I'm with Ron once the floss gets torn up a bit should make it even better.

Fatman

Joe; Very nice looking tie! I, agree, "cut the weight" if tossing it with a 4wt.'s a problem. Once, wet, it should sink well enough, with minimal added weight to it.
    "The JoeRog Royal Spider", (Tennessee Tie), I like it!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi,
    Very nice looking pattern, and it sure sounds like the fish agree. I've got some black osterich hurl which I might try as a substitute for the cheneil since I thought that is what it was on my first look!

- Jeff

I definitely agree about the weight. I think it was bending the rod more than the weight of the line. Once I get the rubber legs I want and make a few revisions to it, I'll post another pic of the final version.

Thanks for naming it Paul! When I finally decide how I want it to be, that name is gonna stick! Maybe leave out the "Joe Rogers" part though. Don't wanna be vain or anything.

Jeff, I never thought about using herl. Since I don't have any right now, I know nothing about it. How well does it hold up?

Default A revision

Since I lost the first one I tied, I decided to tie a couple more. This is the revised version. I'm getting there and hopefully I'll have the right stuff I need to do it how I want it soon.

The Royal Spider

I took the "legs" off of a green spider I picked up at Walmart and used them. Put a couple of stripes on them with a Sharpie and tied them onto the hook before I finished the chenille. I covered up the thread with the chenille and made it look much neater. I also used three strands of 4 strand floss instead of two this time.

Here is where I tested it.

And here is the result.

Caught this one within the first few casts. Also a couple of bluegill, one of which got tangled up in a submerged willow sapling and I had to lay down in the canoe and pull it out. D'oh!
    Last edited by joerogrz; 05-01-2008 at 01:35 AM.

Hi Joe,

Herl is more delicate than cheneil and so the fish can bite through it more easily. However, on smaller flies especially, it has more movement in the fibers and fits on the hook better. Now, that all said, it sure looks like you don't need to change anything and you're on to a winning pattern! I'm thinking of trying it out in size 14s or 16s, so I'll probably use some white speckled partridge feathers for the legs and herl. I like the PT version too, so some brown partridge fibres could go on a few versions.

- Jeff

I know the fish seemed to like the second pattern but "I" like the first pattern.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

+ Reply to Thread